Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: IDE connections and DVD drives?

Exclamation IDE connections and DVD drives?

I have a DVD-ROM and a DVD burner. When I try to use both at the same time(ie copying a DVD to the hard drive while burning a DVD), the performance of each is cut in half. I am assuming it is because they are on the same IDE slot. Since I am using S-ATA hard drives and have a free IDE slot, could I put each drive on it's own IDE slot, and if so, would that allow each drive to perform at it's max?
    Current Set-up: Thermaltake Tsunami case, Thermaltake 480 W silent purepower, MSI K8N Neo2 Plat., AMD Athlon 64 3500+ w/Venus 12 cooler, 2x512 DDR400, ATI AIW 9800 Pro w/Kingwin VGA cooler (it looks cool anyway), Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZX Gamer, 2x160 GB SATA RAID 0 HDD.

Default Re: IDE connections and DVD drives?

Yes you can set the two drives up on a seperate IDE channel, and No it won't help make things faster. You still only have a set amount of bandwidth available across the IDE channel. Unless things have drastically changed, the Southbridge chipset is the controller for all four IDE devices (both channels). They still share the IDE pathway so it is unlikely to help you at all.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Thread Information