Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: TurboLink PowerSupply

Default TurboLink PowerSupply

I just recently purchased a turbolink 500w power supply, 20/24pin for my cousins computer. Who's power supply(enermax 350w) blew out or w/e doesnt work anymore.

I took out the old one, slapped the new one in, hooked it all up properly. And when I turn it on, i began to smell something burning.

Below the ATX Connector i believe its called(the biggest connector on the power supply) some of the transistors or whatever on the motherboard began to emit smoke and little red beautiful cherries.

His computer is an athlon xp, nothing special just a 64mb vid card etc.

My main question is why is this power supply causing a major overheat problem, is it not compatible, is it to much watts? 500wats compared to the old 350w?

Thx for any help~

Default Re: TurboLink PowerSupply

I've not heard of turbolink, but it could either be that the power supply has a bad resistor setup internally and elivers too much juice to the board, or it could be that the motherboard's time to die has just come up. When the resistors, capacitors and MOSFETs begin burning on the motherboard, it is time for a replacement.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

So it's either

a. the power supply
    b. the motherboards gone

What about the connector for the atx, on the old one I noticed it had one of them just empty, perhaps its supposed to be like that but its not with the one im putting in.

Also, the origional problem was that the computer wouldnt turn on. Neither the fan on the power supply, so thats why I said well it must be the power supply. This morning i turned it on with the old one and it turned on for roughly 3 seconds or so then died. And wouldnt boot up anymore even with taking out and putting back in the power cord.

I'm certain its the power supply, but how can I tell if its the power supplies fault, or the motherboards fault for this new issue with the burning up etc.

I'm not sure I understand what you're talking about when you say "on the old one I noticed it had one of them just empty". What was just empty? Are you talking about a 20-pin connector and an empty 4-pin auxilliary connector on the mainboard?

Like I mentioned before, if you've roasted the capacitors or associated points on the mainboard, its toast.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Thread Information