Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Doh pc gone splat!!!! Help!!!

Default Doh pc gone splat!!!! Help!!!

Dear members:-

A sad day indeed I had a mega disaster last night I think the power lead from 9800 pro came loose and shorted out and or intermittently made contact spiking….the system.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

I smelt a slight electrical smell and switched off immediately……….

<o:p></o:p>

Checked found the above problem ……on switch on psu appears to work….board leds light….disks spin + cd drive and fans……..but pc does not boot and hard disk light is on all the time. Also the monitor does not display anything!!!!!

Have I blown the board and the graphics card???? What is the likely damage????

I have a spare NF7m pc …….. I was going to gradually substitute parts into it to find out what is dead…… is this a good plan. Will the XPM2600 boot into a std NF7m???

or does the bios need tweaking…..if so which bios do I need….would Manatray XT D26 work ok????

Any advice would help Doh!!!!

Pc specs:-

Abit NF7s V2 running Mantaray XT D26 bios

XPM 2600

Shark case

Thermatake water cooling for cpu and gpu

1gb corsair llpt 3200 ram

9800pro AIW

39160 adaptec scsi card driving 15k 75gd segate drive + 36 gig drive

2 ata 100 drives

Audigy Sound card

Enermax 465w psu

Was running 12.5x200 stable

Default Re: Doh pc gone splat!!!! Help!!!

Can you not start by simply trying your graphics card in another system and by trying another graphics card in your system? That seems to me to be the fastest way to eliminate the obvious.
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Yes, I fully agree, sound like a dead graphics card to me as well.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Thx I will substitue card.....and let you know....cheers

Default Re: Doh pc gone splat!!!! Help!!! Done some tests...Help!!!

Hi....I feel a little better.......I took the 9800pro aiw out and stuck it in my spare pc........works great!!!!! phew!

I also swapped the vga card from spare pc and put it in the damaged one.......no go.....

I then took the ram out completely(of dead pc).....and the pc gave me a long beep........this indicates a memory error.....which hopefully is a good sign.....please advise!!!

Power lights on/fans working/disk drives turning....(ie all lights on nobody at home!)

I have checked psu voltage this appears ok.
    However I am wondering if I have damaged the psu and it can't supply the current any longer.....is this possible?????

Having looked at the board carefully .... I think what happened was that the psu shorted momenterally......

I have checked forums it seems this board is very bios sensative......I am thinking that the short has zapped the bios chip..........this gives the symptoms described in one of my nf7s guides...............now here's my plan my spare pc is an nf7m will this have a compatable bios??.......if so I could pull out the bios chip and try it in my poorly pc.......can anybody advise.....

I really hope you guys can help......

Kind regards
    Richard........Manchester UK

I have checked my cpu in spare pc its ok!!!!!
    I have checked ram in spare pc itrs ok!!!!
    I have checked psu - in poorly pc - no different still dead!!!
    Phew!!!!

I can only think its either the board zapped or the bios zapped......

I have a suspicions its the bios..............I think I must have spiked computer........if the board had blown I would have suspected components to be zapped cpu/memory/vga card all ok!!!

Your advice would be welcome

Off topic, but smelting is to melt and ore into a solid element, such as iron ore into solid iron. Smelled is the past tense.

Quote Originally Posted by gibs
    Off topic, but smelting is to melt and ore into a solid element, such as iron ore into solid iron. Smelled is the past tense.
    I think that I've smelt a Yank here.

Quote Originally Posted by gibs
    Actually, as Wayout so eloquently pointed out, smelt (and other passed tense/passed participle words ending in t) is an acceptable (if antiquated) alternative to smelled. It's used mostly in the U.K. and English-speaking countries with strong, more-recent ties to the British dialects of English. Americans end most words with the "ed" version, though it still common to hear "burnt" and a few others.

Hi......yes smelt .....does work both ways....as something did smell mighty hot........and also might have been molten!!!!!

Anyway that aside.....any chance of constructive advice.....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information