Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: VHS to DVD Hardware/Software

Default VHS to DVD Hardware/Software

I have several VHS tapes of the family that I want to put on DVD. As you know, VHS tapes eventually begin to stick and flicker when shown. I suppose they start to deteriorate over time. I'd like to get them on DVD before they all go bad.

Can someone help me find the necessary hardware/software that will allow me to do this myself?

I understand such service is offered by several companies who are in the business to do this, but is there any way a homeowner can do his own at a reasonable cost?

I would appreciate hearing back from you guys about this request. Thanks

Default Re: VHS to DVD Hardware/Software

First off, you'll need to get a TV-In card, several are available, AVER probably is the least expensive. That will allow you to connect your VCR to your computer.
    You can do a "video capture" search to find out what's available and find some good websites with advice, etc

There are several programs to convert your home movies to DVD with Microsoft Movie Maker being free, but not good, Pinnacle and Roxio also have movie creation software.

Most of the good ATI video cards are set up for TV tuners and they bundle a pretty good program with them, dollar wise, that may be your best bet, since you get both of your requirements with one purchase.

This is also making an assumption that you already have a DVD burner

Once you get set up, just connect your VCR to the TV card, start the your creation program with the VCR running. Once you've gotten the movie downloaded to your computer, then the program will render it for burning to a DVD. The capture process is real time, so if you have an hour long movie, it'll take an hour to get it on your computer

You'll need quite a bit of free hard drive space to handle the raw and finished files. I would recommend that you have a second hard drive to download the raw movie into, then have your creation program on the first hard drive.

The rendering process takes quite awhile, depending on your CPU speed, RAM, everything. It helps to stop as many programs running in the background as possible.

It's not a hard process, once you've got your hardware and software, it just takes some time. You can Google the subject and read up on, others may have more specific recommendations on what to use. I personally use an AVER card and Pinnacle.
    You may also want to read up on CNET news where they've found that magnetic tape is the best storage medium since DVDs will probably only last five years. Astounded me, but that's what they're saying. I'd rather have my movies on DVD since more people have DVD players than VCRs now.

Lotsa luck with your project!
    Last edited by kgburns; 01-13-2006 at 07:19 PM.
    AMD XP 2600+
    SOYO Dragon 400
    1 gig 3200 DDR
    Phillips CD/RW
    Pioneer DVD -/+ RW
    2-60 gig HD in RAID, 1 60 gig backup
    XP Pro

Smile Re: VHS to DVD Hardware/Software

Thanks KG, you gave me some very good and easy to read (as I needed) advice. Just what I was looking for. I'm a novice as you can tell.

I just bought a new 100GB HD so that should work well for the VHS downloads. I also have a DVD burner ready to install.

Next up would be the TV card you mentioned and the software to bring it all together.
    I'll do some serious searches as you suggested and may need to get back to you with more questions. Hope that's OK.

http://www.doom9.org/ will also provide more help if you require it.

Talking Re: VHS to DVD Hardware/Software

WayOut....I most certainly do need additional advice.....thanks.....I'll be trying to "learn" more about this subject this time next year mate.

Keep the advice and comments coming....I will appreciate each and everyone of them....one can never learn too much about a new subject, and this one is brand new to me.

Question Re: VHS to DVD Hardware/Software

Quote Originally Posted by kgburns
    First off, you'll need to get a TV-In card, several are available, AVER probably is the least expensive. That will allow you to connect your VCR to your computer.
    You can do a "video capture" search to find out what's available and find some good websites with advice, etc
    Lotsa luck with your project!
    Is this the AVER that you're referring to KG?

The AVerMedia DVD EZMaker PCI offers you video capture & DVD authoring functions within an easily affordable budget. With this device, you can capture video from your VCR, or digital/analog camcorder and burn them direct to disk! Or you can personalize your video with the included editing software! In just three easy steps, you can capture, create and record! Get rid of those piles of VHS tapes! Convert them to DVD with the AFFORDABLE DVD EZMaker PCI!

Quote Originally Posted by burnselk
    Is this the AVER that you're referring to KG?

The AVerMedia DVD EZMaker PCI offers you video capture & DVD authoring functions within an easily affordable budget. With this device, you can capture video from your VCR, or digital/analog camcorder and burn them direct to disk! Or you can personalize your video with the included editing software! In just three easy steps, you can capture, create and record! Get rid of those piles of VHS tapes! Convert them to DVD with the AFFORDABLE DVD EZMaker PCI!
    I've had mine for several years now, but they're all basically the same. The editing software is very weak, on line with MS Movie Maker. I wound up buying Pinnacle Studio and like it very much. It may not be the best, and it takes awhile to render movies, but it's easy to use and with some practice you can do some pretty decent editing. After all, once you've downloaded your movie onto the computer in digital form, you can play with it several ways until you get it right, then burn your DVD and delete the saved movies.

On that same line, the first program I bought was Roxio and I wound up just giving it to someone, kept having problems, support, when given, often took over a week just to get a question answered
    AMD XP 2600+
    SOYO Dragon 400
    1 gig 3200 DDR
    Phillips CD/RW
    Pioneer DVD -/+ RW
    2-60 gig HD in RAID, 1 60 gig backup
    XP Pro

Thread Information