Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My windows 2000 keeps on rebooting even in safe mode; need helps..

Angry My windows 2000 keeps on rebooting even in safe mode; need helps..

Hi all the gurus out there,

I need some advise to recover my PC which run on windows 2000. It happened when I installed the latest catalyst from guru3D; Radeon Omega Drivers 3.8.330 (Cat 7.1). After installed I let it all in default setting except I went for a section selected the speed to x8. That's all I did and after rebooted the PC. The windows continued till at log in page. The moment I keyed in my user name & pswd and hit "enter". The monitor screen just blank off about 10 to 15 seconds. My pc rebooted.

At 1st I thought it's normal. Until it rebooted again after I log in 2nd time. I have tried a few times and the PC just rebooted after log in. Then I tried to log in in safe mode and the problem is the same; PC rebooted after I log in. I tried to set a command line; /sos at the boot.ini file and rebooted the PC. It started log the activities. No abnormal has found at boot squence but I just couldn't log in.

Need heelpsss..

My PC config;
    win2k + sp4 + oct06 patches.
    AMD 1.8G
    1G Ram

<!--IBF.ATTACHMENT_892403--><!-- THE POST -->

Default Re: My windows 2000 keeps on rebooting even in safe mode; need helps..

Hello, New to the forums bit, but good friends with one of the guys on here, Steve how r ya buddy!, anyway, back to your problem..

Few options to try out: + im sure more people on here will have some things to try out too.

1. Have you tried taking out the video card, installing another card/chip type as a temprorary measure to see if it will continue past the log on?, if it allows you to, get into add/remove programs and uninstall the drivers/software for your Radeon, then install your card again along with the drivers and choose carefully with custom settings..
    2. Try using a boot cd, run the windows setup and select the repair option?
    3. You mentioned you went into safe mode and the same issue occurs, did you also try Last known good configuration.

hope this helps..
    cheers

taking the card out and using another one would be the best solution,

does win2k have a VGA mode (ie like safe mode, XP does, I can't remember if win2k does that).

Hi COSMOTT & Kheldar,

Sorry for the late reply cos still struggle and try to get my PC up. I have installed win2k at another HDD and try to solve the problem. But I couldn't use my 2nd HDD to uninstall the video driver from the 1st HDD.. :(

Is there anyway I can uninstall or delete the ATI driver manually? So far I tried the repair and it didn't work. Also tried the last good config and I have only profile 1 to restore. Same problem.

I tried the repair on my emergency repair disk last nite but not successful due to win2k CD unable to copy files to my HDD. I don know why it couldn't. It just prompted unable to copy files to local HDD, either continue or skip. It also prompted that if skip the system may not work properly. Hack.. of course it won work properly!

These are the files that refused to copy;

winhttp.dll
    sp3res.dll
    qmgrprxy.dll
    qmgr.dll
    oeaccess.inf
    msircomm.sys
    msimain.sdb
    msisip.dll
    mdmirmdm.inf
    iuengine.dll
    iuctl.dll
    irenum.sys
    ieaccess.inf
    au.inf
    acspecfc.dll
    aclayers.dll
    acgenral.dll
    sp3.cab

I have a 2nd win2k HDD, not sure if it'll work if I copy all the mentioned files over the 1st HDD...

Your options of copying files over from the new install of 2k will be very hard to fix the problem your having.. have you tried taking out the video card and using another one as temporary that is say made by Nvidia therefore windows wont load the ati drivers when you boot into it which should work and allow you to uninstall ATI software. Or even if you have onboard video on your motherboard.

Also if you can get a hold of a program called Minipe which has its own boot option and allows you to roll back your windows registry to a date before your problem occured.

Where abouts are you located?

Hi COSMOTT,

Thx for your advise. I took out the Radeon card and installed a nvidia card after I screwed up the ATI driver but it's the same problem. The moment I log in, my pc starts to reboot..

Quote Originally Posted by user109s View Post
    Hi COSMOTT,

Thx for your advise. I took out the Radeon card and installed a nvidia card after I screwed up the ATI driver but it's the same problem. The moment I log in, my pc starts to reboot..
    Hey Mate,
    if you got a Windows 2k boot cd, run the setup and select the repair option,that should fix the prob straight away.. or try boot cd called MiniPe, and select the registry restore wizard in that.

Hi COSMOTT,

I did try the repair on my emergency repair disk with win2k cd as mentioned on 10th and did not successful due to win2k CD unable to copy files.

May be I will try the "MiniPe".. Don mind I ask; is in the win2k cd? Can it repair through 2nd bootable HDD?

Quote Originally Posted by user109s View Post
    Hi COSMOTT,

I did try the repair on my emergency repair disk with win2k cd as mentioned on 10th and did not successful due to win2k CD unable to copy files.

May be I will try the "MiniPe".. Don mind I ask; is in the win2k cd? Can it repair through 2nd bootable HDD?

You should be able to download Minipe, i belive its a shareware program, hopefully someone can confirm this too..
    where are you located?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information