Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: competer restarting problems, any help?

Default competer restarting problems, any help?

hi there.
    I have a brand new medion desktop with windows xp, 160 Gb hardrive, 1024 ram. Ever since i had it up and running it randomly keeps restarting itself which is getting very annoying, no-one seems to be able to help me, neither the shop or the help centre. i thought it may be the internet but on some occassions the modem is left turned of and it still happens. I don't have much software on the computer, only internet, norton (restarting even before this was installed), nero and my webcam but i don't think any of these can causing my problems. Does anyone have any ideas or solutions please, its driving us mad.

Default Re: competer restarting problems, any help?

You have missed answering a few questions so I'll ask a few and see if we can get to the root of the problem. You could be dealing with faulty hardware or software with no easy way to tell which at this point.

Did you have this problem before you went online or added files from another system? ...If so then don't waste your time. Take it back if it is a brand new system.

You say it had the problem before you installed Norton. (I'm guessing someone on this site will prolly tell you that Norton is not their favorite antivirus ... but it does work as advertised for the most part.) Were you operating online with out any protection before that? You have scanned for viruses and trojans?

Have you checked for online updates at Windows Update as well as the manufacturers site?

Just a few questions to get the ball rolling.....
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

As was noted above, take the machine back for a replacement. Most of the time randon restarts are caused by either overheating or a underpowered (or dying) power supply.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Quote Originally Posted by Darthtanion View Post
    As was noted above, take the machine back for a replacement. Most of the time randon restarts are caused by either overheating or a underpowered (or dying) power supply.

I also think the culprit here is ur PSU.I think,you first try to install every driver updates for your every hardware devics like audio,video & mobo.If the roblem persists,then try to get the PSU replaced.

I think Trend Micro PC-Cillin 2006 Internet Security is way better than the Norton.PC-Cillin 2007 is also there but not as good as the 2006 version.I was previously using Norton but now I'm using the PC-Cillin & I'm not going back to Norton.PC-Cillin also scans very fast.
    Last edited by AMDATHLONFX; 02-20-2007 at 04:43 PM.

[quote=PrairieDawg;240326]You have missed answering a few questions so I'll ask a few and see if we can get to the root of the problem. You could be dealing with faulty hardware or software with no easy way to tell which at this point.

hi. its hard to tell as i connected up to the internet as soon as i built up the computer fresh from the shop so its hard to say whether the internet is causing it, however i had the same internet software on my old computer and it worked fine.

i had an anti virus on the computer before installing norton and when installing norton carried out a full system scan and nothing was found.

i also add updates when they come to my computer.

At the moment the computer seems to re-start when you ask it to do a few things at once such as chatting on the internet and downloading photos from a camera at the same time for example.

im thinking about setting the computer back to factory setting and trying to make it crash before installing any software, that seems to be my only option at the moment!!!!

Thread Information