Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Which nVidia to chose from?

Default Which nVidia to chose from?

hi all,

I have an ASUS ATI Radeon 9600 Series. It is no longer useful (the pc is like constipated everytime I quit a game). I would like to upgrade without selling my first born.

Which of these is the best for gaming? (nVidia doesn't have any kind of support for questions like this ... so I came here hoping to get some starter info so I can narrow my choices and search.)

DualTV MCE
    GeForce 6 Series
    GeForce 7 Series
    GeForce 8 Series
    GeForce FX Series
    NVIDIA SLI Technology
    Quadro FX
    Quadro NVS
    Quadro4 XGL

6,7,8 series? SLI??, FX, NVS?? XGL???? "I don't think we're in Kansas anymore Dorothy."

PS: I tried getting help from Monarch Computers and they shuffled me around and never gave any direct help. (To their plus, they helped me set up my RAID 0 hard drives over the phone! Shame they didn't want to make a sale...) Maybe I should try them again?

Finally, if this is a stupid question, I apologize, and will totally understand if it is deleted/moved to oblivion.
    - sweet

Default Re: Which nVidia to chose from?

I'll try to help a bit.

Quadro are for professional drafting/ 3D applications ... not good for gaming. Most of the GeForce 7 series are still good for most games and will probably continue to be alright for awhile yet. Basically you get what you pay for. GeForce 8 series are the latest and greatest .... also very pricey.

SLI is the ability to use two GeForce cards together. SLI requires a compatible motherboard as well as compatible (and matching) video cards and a decent power supply unit.

Most of this knowledge will not do you a lot of good if you are switching from a Radeon 9600 because you are probably stuck with an AGP slot for your video card rather than the new PCI Express slot that most new video cards require. AGP cards are still being made but the question of how much you want to spend on outdated technology comes into play. A relatively cheap upgrade may be to look for a Radeon 9800Pro. More RAM is always a fairly inexpensive upgrade as well. Others may have better suggestions.
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Default Re: Which nVidia to chose from?

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDawg View Post
    I'll try to help a bit.
    . . . (c u t) . . .

AGP cards are still being made but the question of how much you want to spend on outdated technology comes into play. A relatively cheap upgrade may be to look for a Radeon 9800Pro. More RAM is always a fairly inexpensive upgrade as well. Others may have better suggestions.
    It sounds like I need a new machine. I have a dual core 2GHz laptop that is doing BOINC (http://einstein.phys.uwm.edu/) ~4 times faster than my Hyperthreading 3GHz desktop ... (somebody's) law strikes again! :/

BTW, I have 1 GB of RAM. A Logitech tech said I shld get 4! Anyone wanna help me rob a computer store??? No?!? ... oh well.

PS: I just did a PriceWatch (http://www.pricewatch.com/) search. Apparently the nVidia 8800 gts is only ~$300 (http://www.pricewatch.com/video_card..._8800_gts.htm), but the gtx is ~$600! (http://www.pricewatch.com/video_card..._8800_gtx.htm). H e L p ! ... What a difference one letter makes :)

Thanks dawg, ur reply was quite the eye opener.
    - sweet

Thread Information