Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: problem with a newly built system

Default problem with a newly built system

I just built a system it consists of a P5N32-E SLI mobo with an E6600 cpu/ Zalman 9700 led heatsink/ 2 gig Corsair XMS2 Dominator (pc 8500) memory/corsair memory fans/ BFG Geforce 7900gs oc video card/ Ocz gamestream 700 watt psu/ 2>250 gig hard drives, it's all in a Thermaltake Saprano mid tower case. My problem is I tried to boot it this morn. and nothing happened. The case fans and the heatsink fan works, That's about it. I hooked up our existing monitor cable to it and the wireless mouse, but neither had power. Oh, and the case power button turns the power on but not off. I have no idea. I'm not real sure what to do now. If anyone has any imput on this please get back to me. Thanks
    Asus P5N32-E SLI mobo
    E6600
    Zalman 9700 led Heatsink
    Thermaltake Extreme Spirit NB heatsink
    Corsair XMS2 PC2 8500 (2gigs)/with fans
    Ocz Gamestream 700 watt psu
    Geforce 7900gs oc Video card
    Half a tarabyte hard drive space
    Thermaltake Saprano case

Default Re: problem with a newly built system

First off, make sure you have a system speaker hooked up and see if there is a beeping when you try to boot. If this doesn't igve any clues, then remove all components and reinstall them. It isn't uncommon that something isn't fully seated or you didn't give power to some components. These steps will generally work. If not, then install the mainboard, memory, 1 hard drive and video ONLY and see if you can boot up.

As to the power switch, hold it in for about 5 seconds and it should force a power-down of your system.

Good luck.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Well, I didn't have the 2 4 pin connectors hooked up for the power. After I hooked that up it posted once. I thought I was good to go, so I tied the wires back up and tried it again. No post, no beep. I reset the memory and all the wires, still nothing. I don't know. This is getting aggravating. Thanks for the reply
    Asus P5N32-E SLI mobo
    E6600
    Zalman 9700 led Heatsink
    Thermaltake Extreme Spirit NB heatsink
    Corsair XMS2 PC2 8500 (2gigs)/with fans
    Ocz Gamestream 700 watt psu
    Geforce 7900gs oc Video card
    Half a tarabyte hard drive space
    Thermaltake Saprano case

Quote Originally Posted by wily5150 View Post
    Well, I didn't have the 2 4 pin connectors hooked up for the power. After I hooked that up it posted once. I thought I was good to go, so I tied the wires back up and tried it again. No post, no beep. I reset the memory and all the wires, still nothing. I don't know. This is getting aggravating. Thanks for the reply

Make sure your Xpin ATX_12V power connector located near the CPU socket as well as the 24-pin ATX Power Connector is plugged in PSU to mainboard.
    If all else fails just start from scratch and take everything back out and reinstall it with the bare minimum amount of hardware as Dath suggested. Its always a good idea to use those little paper washers that come with a mainboard to prevent a possible short.
    Last edited by Spongebob; 03-19-2007 at 04:48 AM.

Strangely, My Main Rig does not boot (look for the thread "Main Rig wont POST. HELP!" in the Issues and Incompatibilities section) with these same symptoms. It wont beep, the Power Light is off, the HDD light is on, No video appears on screen, CD and Hard Drive works, Case, Heatsink Fan and CPU fans spin, but it wont get working. It is completely vexing to have your main rig wont boot. I am still using the old laptop (1.6 GHz Celeron, 360MB Ram, Blown LCD) and I am willing to have my rig back. Can only play emulator games on this rig.

Oh well, maybe it is time for a forced upgrade anyway (Core2 and SLI, here i come!).

at a guess Aguiluz I'd say your PSU has bit the dust

wily5150 - you've fallen for biggest trap in PC's - never tie anything in place untill it all goes - kinda like murphy's law for building pc's

take it appart again and put it back together one piece at a time - testing in between (or as u disconnect componets test)

Thread Information