Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: The PCI Riser

Default The PCI Riser

On Hackaday.com's "Make Your Own Laptop," (http://www.hackaday.com/2007/01/20/m...ur-own-laptop/) the DIYer used a kind of PCI Riser which incorporates a what looks like a ribbon cable to connect the PCI slot of the mobo to a PCI GFX card, enabling it to be laid "flat," in order to keep the build really thin.

You can see the battery under the DVD drive and the PSU which I took from an old Morex case from Mini-ITX. The riser card cable is fabulous - it sits the ATI 9200 card nicely in the case.
    So, when my main-rig broke, I am thinking of bulding one of these puppies, Coupled with some high powered stuff like two 8800 GTXs in SLI and an overclocked Pentium D (Running at maybe 4 to 4.2 GHz, Look it up on Tom's Hardware) and some 680i boards, with 750-850W PSU and 2 GBs of SLI-Ram. Add up a RAID array... Maybe?

And then, here's a thought, Is there a commercially available PCI-E x16 Graphics card Riser Cable which enables my "Briefcase Mod" to be really thin? Just like on the Hackaday article?

Feel free to post links

Default Re: The PCI Riser

A Pentium D would be terrible for even a single 8800GTX. Nothing less than a C2D is good enough for a 8800 GTX and you still need to overclock it to 3GHz+ to ease the bottleneck.

Otherwise, good idea.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Agreed that a Pentium D is insufficient, but you don't need a Core 2 Duo @ 3GHz to handle an 8800GTX. Maybe in a few CPU-intensive games, or at lower resolutions. Otherwise, you can certainly take advantage with a Core 2 Duo or a faster Athlon 64 X2, depending on the game and the resolution.

A Pentium D at 4GHz, which is not as easy as you might think and certainly wouldn't be feasible in a small-form factor environment, would probably be enough for an 8800GTX. But why would you ever want a Pentium D at 4Ghz, or any speed, for that matter? You can get a cheap X2 to 3GHz, have it run at 10c and 50W less, and still outperform the overclocked Pentium D. Same with Core 2 Duo.

Er, sorry guys, but is there a PCI-E x16 Riser? I don't like to have a bulky SFF system. I wanted the cards to lay "flat" on their rear sides.

But thanks anyway. Let me try a Core 2 Duo (Quad = Expensive)

I Initially thought that the Pentium D at 4.1 GHz is the "Alladin's Lamp" (Did I spell that correctly?) to solve my Gaming Lag, Application Lag, Video Encoding Lag, and PhotoShop Lag all in one big swoop.

Still cant play games on this stupid laptop. Only Emulators.

I think my Main Rig gone BOOM when I O/C'd too much. I remembered having that system Exotically Overclocked to 3 GHz, The Radeon was like at 340 Mhz Core and 265 MHz Ram. I Also upped the ante' by adding some Cathode Lamps, and then, when the Rig gone hot, I switched it off, added a Drum Fan lifted from a Car Aircon. After some time, I cleaned it out, then, when I got everything back, Its dead.

Could it be the PSU?
    Last edited by Aguiluz; 04-16-2007 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Missing lines

Thread Information