Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New P.C problem

Default New P.C problem

Hello, I have just built my first pc and everything works ok but when i try to make the pc do a few tasks (e.g downloading and listening to music) it crashes and sometimes gives me the blue screen of death with a big error message. I get the feeling it could be a memory problem and i have just tried swaping the ram about and stuff with no luck :( I read i should disable the BIOS memory but cant seem to find the option.

I am using Award software with BIOS version f2 and cant seem to find any help anywhere on the internet for it.

If anyone could help me out that would be great, thanks :)

Default Re: New P.C problem

Disable bios memory??? Not sure what that could refer to but it doesn't sound like a good thing. You really are not giving us much to work with. What are the specs of your machine and what is the "big error message"?
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

I believe they are talking about disabling Shadow ROM within the BIOS. While I always make sure mine is disabled, I haven't heard this causing any big stability problems.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

O.k thanks lads, im just going to work so when i get home ill update my post. Darthtanion I was talking bout disableing the shadow ROM and also the cachae memory. When I get home later i'll post my specs, and the big error message. Thanks for your help.

Hi again. I just got home from work so here we go. My system specs are:-

System Information
    Operating system: Windows XP Professional x64 Edition (5.2, Build 3790)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Sseries GA-945GM-S2
    System Model : AWRDACPI
    BIOS: Version f2
    Processor: Intel Core2 Duo Conroe E6420
    Intel 945G Express Chipset
    Thermaltake Blue Orb 2 heatsink/fan
    Memory: 1024MB RAM
    Page File: 429MB used, 2061MB available
    Direct X Version: Direct 9.0c

Graphics Card
    NVIDIA Ge Force 7300 GS

PSU
    Thermaltake Purepower 680W :D

Hard Drive
    160gb Seagate barracuda SATA 2

I think thats about it, if you need to know anything else then please let me know. I have a Thermaltake case with 3 case fans. Thanks again

OK now ill type what the blue screen of death is telling me:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you have seen this stop error screen restart your computer. If this screen apears again follow these steps :

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space, if a driver is identified in the stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for updates, try changing video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any updates, disable BIOS memory options sush as caching or shadowing, if you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press f8 to select advanced startup ??? time, and then select safe mode

Then it gives a big technical information code, im not sure if it would be of any use, but that's all of it. I downloaded updates from Gigabyte and when i tryed to install them i got an error message that said cannot start or run due to incompatability with 64-bit versions of windows. Please contact the software vendor to ask if a 64-bit Windows compatible version is availiable. So im not sure if its gigabyte that im meant to contact about that, so ill try and get a phone number and ill ring them tomorow. But im sure thats not the problem. Any thought are well apriciated. Thanks
    Last edited by Kali.82; 04-25-2007 at 03:21 AM.

I have no personal experience with XP 64bit. A few ideas: Did you install 64 bit drivers for all components (mobo, video card, etc)? Are all of your other running programs 64 bit compliant (virus scanner, firewall, etc)?
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDawg View Post
    I have no personal experience with XP 64bit. A few ideas: Did you install 64 bit drivers for all components (mobo, video card, etc)? Are all of your other running programs 64 bit compliant (virus scanner, firewall, etc)?
    I think I instaled all the drivers I needed to and didnt think things would work if I didnt have the right drivers and things seem to be working ok, exept when I make the computer do too many tasks it crashes.

Somtimes when I turn the PC on I get a long funny sounding bleep and then a short one after it, and other time's I will get a short funny sounding beep then a normal beep and other times it just beeps once, quite weird lol. Seems to have a mind of its own.

9. Default Re: New P.C problem

Yeah, those beeps are telling you that something with the hardware is not right.

I would check and make sure that the ram is correctly seated and then reseat it. I would then reseat the video card.

This information might be trivial, but I'm not really sure what is going on. I wish I could help more...

OK thanks for the input guys. Im just going to work again now but when i get home ill do exctly what you have said and ill lety you know. If anyone else has any useful experiance or ideas then please help, thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information