Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: First Build Mobo Choice

Default First Build Mobo Choice

I'm building a computer for the first time, and am rather confused by the large number of motherboards that are out on the market. So far I'm planning on a C2D machine with an 8800GTS. I don't plan on overclocking (at least not anytime in the near future, until I feel like I really know what I'm doing), and I definitely don't need SLI capabilities (not worth the money), but I'm looking for something that is very reliable and will remain useable as far into the future as possible. Any recommendations? At the risk of being slightly off-topic, how does one choose the right speed of RAM? Does it have something to do with the Mobo FSB speed?

Default Re: First Build Mobo Choice

You are correct, there are many, many choices out there.
    Personally, I use ASUS. I've heard decent things about many other makers as well (DFI, eVGA, etc)...so it's hard to say what would fit you best among all of them.

I know that the difference in price between an SLI and non-SLI motherboard is miniscule, so I suggest getting one and at least having the option to do SLI available. What is your budget..I may be able to narrow some choices for you.

Generally, the NVidia based motherboards(650/680i are their newer chipsets) are better at overclocking than Intel.

With RAM, you basically want the highest bandwidth (FSB speed) with the lowest latency (numbers...ie 4-4-4-12) that your budget allows (since you plan to overclock in the future).

UPDATE: I just read about Intel's new 3 series chipsets and they look real nice so far....IMHO I would hold off on building a system for another month or so.. Prices on current stuff should drop, or you could get the newer (more "future proof") hardware.
    Last edited by matm347; 05-23-2007 at 07:23 AM.
    Case - CoolerMaster Wavemaster
    Monitor - 37" Sceptre NagaIII @1080p
    PSU - PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad
    MB - Asus P5K Deluxe
    CPU - Intel C2D E4300 (overclocks to come ASAP)
    GPU - 7800GTX 256 @ 608/1440 volt mod
    RAM - 2x 1gig Corsair "Dominator" PC2 8500
    Sound - Creative X-FI elite pro
    Klipsh THX certified 4.1
    Sennheiser HD-650 (naked)
    Headroom Micro amp w/desktop mod/Cordas HPI cables
    HDD - 1x 74gig raptor for OS
    3x 74gig raptors in RAID0 for games
    1x 500gig WD for swap file/storage
    Cooling - Appogee CPU/GPU blocks
    3/8"ID 5/8"OD Tygon tubing
    3x 120mm BIE radiator