Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: SATA Optical Drive read issues

Default SATA Optical Drive read issues

Here is my system parts. (that are relevant to this question)
    dvd drive - http://www.newegg.com/Product<wbr>/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106<wbr>040
    dvd burner - http://www.newegg.com/Product<wbr>/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106<wbr>046
    motherboard - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813127022
    2x hard drives - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822152052

Anyways, I am having strange problems reading DVDs. They arn't major problems but, the biggest things are:

1) When I am watching movies the DVD player software will commonly lag. Just slow for about 10 seconds and then fast forward very quickly to cetch up.

2) Also, I got the two 500GB hard drives for the purpose of ripping all of my DVD's onto AVI files so I won't have to take all my DVDs (100+ movies) to college with me next year. I was using the SimpleDivX program to rip movies, i got it to rip about 5 movies with it taking about 2-4 hours a movie. This last time it took over 6 hours, and now the program won't even finish.

3) I tried using both drives, half the time the computer doesnt even Recognize the DVD I have to take it out and put it back in about 3-4 times.

F.Y.I. - Windows Vista Ultimate Edition
    CPU -
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 Conroe 2.13GHz
    Mobo -
    Abit Fatal1ty FP-IN9
    Memory -
    OCZ SLI-Ready 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 800
    GPU -
    EVGA 8600GT 256MB PCI Express x16
    Optical Drives -
    LITE-ON Black SATA Combo Drive,
    LITE-ON Black
    SATA DVD Burner
    H
    ard Drives -
    (2) Samsung
    HD501LJ 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s

Default Re: SATA Optical Drive read issues

First thing to do is to run a quick system scan and make sure that you haven't been made victim to any virus. I recall there being several Vista holes that were recently patched up, so check this first.

1&2 - Your problems seem to stem from the utilities you are using. You might try using something else to see if it helps out. www.doom9.org has a lot of help in this area and is a reliable source for both information and links to decent freeware ripping and burning utlities to handle your tasks.

3- You might check into TweakGuides.com and see if his Vista Tweaking Guide can't help you out. I know when previous versions of Windows came into existence, it took a bit of playing to get everything communicating properly together. May or may not help but won't be wasted time regardless.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

They don't seem to be software issues - I have 2 optical DVD RW drives (Samsung TSSTCorp) and I also have 2 x 500GB drives and a 74GB Raptor, so that makes for a total of 5 SATA connections on my motherboard. I have experienced slow rates of transfer on the optical drives and sometimes even incomplete transfers before freezing or the computer shutting itself down effectively via the blue screen of death. It is not a Vista related problem as I have tried them on both Vista and XP. I am using the 64 bit versions of both operating systems.

I hope that someone can come up with a solution....

Many thanks in advance,

`MishimaSan`

Yep, after going through
    SimpleDivx
    AutoGK
    MeGui
    and
    Xilisoft

I have gotten the thought that it could possibly be a problem with the SATA optical drives. The thing is though I don't get it because I have 2 different drives. (I did however go with the same brand). Does anyone thing the problem could possibly be the motherboard? I have all the latest drivers.

This is ridiculous, I assumed I would get better transfer speeds with the SATA Drives for DVD Ripping, insted it doesn't even work.

If none can figure this out within a couple weeks I'm investing in RELIABLE IDE technology!!!
    CPU -
    Mobo -
    Abit Fatal1ty FP-IN9
    Memory -
    GPU -
    Optical Drives -
    LITE-ON Black
    SATA DVD Burner
    H
    ard Drives -
    (2) Samsung

I know, same here. Although I am not so keen on going back to IDE - I hate those damn cables. Why the hell isn't SATA as fast as IDE?!??!?! This doesn't make sense. I hope that it gets resolved - it might be something to do with the motherboard IRQ assignment.

I'm going to sound like a total n00b saying this, but what is an IRQ assignment?
    CPU -
    Mobo -
    Abit Fatal1ty FP-IN9
    Memory -
    GPU -
    Optical Drives -
    LITE-ON Black
    SATA DVD Burner
    H
    ard Drives -
    (2) Samsung

you shouldn't have to worry about irq's anymore, back in the win98 era it was important.

an IRQ is a hardware interrupt line

Have you done a firmware upgrade on your optical drives?

Quote Originally Posted by BigSexy396 View Post
    F.Y.I. - Windows Vista Ultimate Edition
    There's your problem, most likely. DVD playback problem of the nature you are experiencing are almost always caused by lack of resources. Vista causes a lack of resources by nature. This is especially true in the case of OEM computers. Yours may not be OEM, but this may still be the case.

Open up task manager (ctrl + alt +del) and see how many processes are running. Is it more than 50? More than 60? Dual-core + 2GB doesn't matter; this will cause problems. If you're under or around 50, you might be okay, but then a realy intensive program will cause this as well.

Alternatively, you ought to try some third-party codec packages. Try the Combined Community Codec Playback pack. Try VLC media player.

I can almost guarantee you this is a software problem. There's really not much room for error with SATA. I guess you could have a beta driver for the controller or just a crappy driver, but Vista has pretty much 100% compatibility with all existing SATA controllers for 32-bit and 64-bit, so I highly doubt it.

SATA is certainly not the problem. SATA is slightly faster than IDE, and in theory has much greater bandwidth. Unfortunately, this is not the case in most real-world performance situations, and SATA offers little performance enhancements. It does offer superior cabling, hot-swap, easier RAID, and less resource-intensive controllers. In any case, SATA will certainly not cause this problem. A bad drive could, but I've used a good dozen SATA drives (including BD-RW and DL DVD-RW drives) on several OSes and never encountered anything like this.

I discovered the solution. I actually never installed the SATA motherboard driver for my ABIT motherboard. So anyone who has a similar problem here's your answer. I'm currently ripping all the movies I can.
    CPU -
    Mobo -
    Abit Fatal1ty FP-IN9
    Memory -
    GPU -
    Optical Drives -
    LITE-ON Black
    SATA DVD Burner