Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Power supply for bottom mount cases

Default Power supply for bottom mount cases

I have an Antec 900 Gaming case & naturally they reccomend Antec power supplies, but I have also head of people having problems with these cases in fitting power supplies to them.

It seems that the problem is caused by the need for longer cables, & that some power supplies do not have long enough cables. I have been trying to find reviews on P/S that indicate their suitability or otherwise for the bottom mount cases, not just the 900.

Anyone able to reccomend Power devices that may be suitable for these cases. I would prefer a power unit to be around the 500-550watt mark as I do not see a need beyond that.

The computer is not a gaming machine, & will consist of the following main parts.
    MB GA EP 45/DS3
    CPU 6600 or 8500
    VGA Galaxy 9800gt 512mb Hybrid Power (already purchased) no O/clock
    Ram 4b Cosair 800 cl 4
    DVD 2x Pioneer DVD
    & run Vista.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by brodie; 09-30-2008 at 08:33 AM. Reason: add extra information

Default Re: Power supply for bottom mount cases

You should look at Corsair or Enermax PSUs (cuz they usually have decent length cables) in the 600-750W range (its always good to have a little extra). As for the CPU, if you dont wanna overclock, get the E8500, but if you like pushing things to the limit, grab the Q6600 and a decent cooler (the Vendetta 2 is cheap and good performing or the Noctua U12P for excellent performance). Also, if you havent already got the RAM, id consider switching to Kingston or Mushkin, simply because Gigabyte boards aren't to keen on Corsair memory.
    NZXT Lexa BlackLine Case with Red LEDs
    Corsair TX-750 Modular PSU
    Gigabyte EP45-DS3P (BIOS F7)
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 @ 3.73GHz (downclocked for the summer )
    OCZ Vendetta 2 CPU Heatsink
    2x 2GB Kingston HyperX RAM PC2-6400 @ 996MHz (4-5-5-15)
    3x Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB HDD in RAID5
    2x HIS Radeon HD 4850 @ 745/1090 in CrossFireX
    2x ThermalTake DuOrb GPU Heatsink
    D-Link Super G PCI WLAN Adapter
    Asus Lightscribe 20x SATA II DVD-DL Burner
    Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro
    2x 22" LG W2252TQ-PF Widescreen LCD Monitor (YAY!! Finally got the second one!!)

I'm using pretty much the same setup, but with 2 8800GT's in SLI rather than the 9800, and I'm using an Antec Neo HE 550, in the Antec 900 case. It fits absolutely fine and the power supply itself is one of the most stable out there - Would strongly recommend that.
    My Rig;
    Mobo: MSI P7N SLI
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0,OC'd to 2.7Ghz
    RAM: 4Gb DDR2 900Mhz, 4-4-4-12 (GeIL)
    HDD: Hitachi Deskstar 320Gb x2, RAID 0
    Samsung Spinpoint 250Gb
    Sound: Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
    PSU: Antec Neo HE 550
    GFX: 2 x Zotac 8800GT AMP Edition in SLI
    Case: Antec 900
    Mouse: Razer Copperhead (Anarchy Red)
    Keyboard: Logitech Wave

yeah antec PSUs are always good, just, whatever you do, dont get one of those never-been-heard-of PSUs... they blow quite often and will take your GPU and sometimes your CPU with them... also, i wouldnt recommend Thermaltake PSUs
    NZXT Lexa BlackLine Case with Red LEDs
    Corsair TX-750 Modular PSU
    Gigabyte EP45-DS3P (BIOS F7)
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 @ 3.73GHz (downclocked for the summer )
    OCZ Vendetta 2 CPU Heatsink
    2x 2GB Kingston HyperX RAM PC2-6400 @ 996MHz (4-5-5-15)
    3x Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB HDD in RAID5
    2x HIS Radeon HD 4850 @ 745/1090 in CrossFireX
    2x ThermalTake DuOrb GPU Heatsink
    D-Link Super G PCI WLAN Adapter
    Asus Lightscribe 20x SATA II DVD-DL Burner
    Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro
    2x 22" LG W2252TQ-PF Widescreen LCD Monitor (YAY!! Finally got the second one!!)

Already have 2meg of the Cosair memory, so if its a problem, with the lifetime warranty, should have no worries about swapping it over, as I will be getting the rest of the components from the same dealer.

I checked the Enermex supply & they only come in 525 & 625watt sizes here in Australia (at least what I can find) Looking into my needs & a report on either Toms or Anandtech, actually questioned the need for high powered P/S, depending on use.

Matching against that, & what I see as my needs, I have little likelihood of needing over a 550watt supply.

The other brands I have looked at include Corsair & Seasonic, & on another Power supply review site, they actually reveal that Antec, Corsair & Seasonic are actually all made by Seasonic.

Which makes you wonder about it all. The thing is, the reports all state the high quality build & parts, so they reccomend any of them, dependant on the price.

That said, I really look at the connector cables as the main thing. Also I note that the Seasonic supplies, set at HE80+ are non modular, whereas the Corsair & Antec supplies are modular.

Looking at standard vses Modular, I see the efficiency as the main thing, as well as power saving, along with the ability of only fitting the cables you actually need.

Do I read that correct?

Thanks

What will these systems consist of parts wise?

As to Rosewill PSU's, meh, some appear to work fine and have longevity while others seem to not be so reliable. Though, they do seem to have come up in performance and reliability the last couple of years.

If they'll be running 24/7 there are more serious choices of manufacturers I'd be looking at.

I state it in my Sig and put it out here every chance I get. Consider the PSU the foundation upon what all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Thread Information