Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Opinions on future build

Question Opinions on future build

Once I save up enough money, I want to get this entirely new build. It was inspired by a recent Gigabyte article that got a Ci7 920 to 4Ghz and stable...on air! Here it is:

Case - Tagan CS-EL Diablo Super Tower
    Power Supply - Antec TruePower Quattro 1000W
    Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-EX58-EXTREME
    Processor - Intel Core i7 920
    Memory - Patriot EP PVT36G1600ELK 3x2GB DDR3
    Hard Drive - Seagate Barracuda 1TB ST31000333AS
    Optical Drive - Asus DRW-20B1LT Lightscribe
    Video Card - Nvidia GeForce GTX 285 << not yet for sale of course
    Sound Card - Auzentech X-Plosion 7.1 Cinema
    Input Device - Logitech Cordless Desktop MX5500 Revolution
    Monitor - BenQ V2400W 24" WS LCD
    Heatsink - Thermalright TRUE Black 120 for LGA1366
    Heatsink Fans - 2x Scythe S-Flex SFF21F
    Speakers - Logitech X-540 5.1 Speaker System
    Operating Sys. - Windows Vista Home Premium w/SP1 64-bit

This would be primarily a gaming system, naturally. I mean just look at what I want! It should be able to get great game-play out of a lot of games even at 1920x1080p.

Opinions/questions, anyone?

owcraftsman is offline Junior Member

Default Re: Opinions on future build

Excellent build although you could end up with a GPU bottle neck at 4.0 with that soon to be released card you may be better off with 2or3x 280's or 4870's especially if you want an FPS beast. It's my understanding the new i7 thrives with SLI/Crossfire and is no longer the limiting factor in 3Dbenchmarks especially High res and eye candy. This is based and reviews I've read here and elsewhere but link up that article I'd like to give it a read.

The future rig has changed a bit as of recently.
    The motherboard I now want is an Asus P6T Deluxe. The OS is now XP Pro 64-bit. The input devices are now Logitech G15 Keyboard and G9 Mouse. The RAM is now Corsair's 1600Mhz 3x2GB memory with the funky heat-dispersal fins.
    Everything else is still the same as before.

GPU bottleneck? Great!! Thanks for the 4870 suggestion but I am not going near ATI video cards again. Besides, games seem to like Nvidia cards more.

I like you prefer Nvidia GPU's so your preaching to the choir there witout question it's a God send to have intel chipset support Nvidia GPU's. The P6T by all accounts is stellar although if I had to buy an X58 today it would be EVGA's board on par performance and le$$. It's hard to go wrong with Corsair I've had more than my fair share and nary a problem. I use the G15 v1 and G5 and love them, BUT I would reconsider the XP x64 thingy I have it and dumped it way back as a matter of fact I'll sell it to you cheap retail box ver. One thing for certian here i7 has already inspired software and hardware vendors to rethink 64 bit. By mid to late 2009 we should see SP2 for Vista and it will change things quit a bit for the better especially for 64 bit users.
    Support for windows XP is waning at best 64 bit XP is even worse. If all your going to do with this beast is post benchmarks then your fine but if you want a main rig with latest and greatest drivers, software, and hardware you'll be Sheet out of luck in no time with XP x64. Sure excellent performance but not enough better to do without all the other stuff. People complain about Vista but XP x64 is worse IMHO.
    In any case good luck with that build.

Yours is an interesting opinion on XP64.

I've been reading up on various other opinions, and some say they prefer it to Vista64, for gaming and other tasks. On the other side of the spectrum, some say XP64 is deplorable and prefer Vista64.

XP64 is kinda basic, yes, but I'm not entirely sure Vista64 has anything I truly need or would miss. I don't have that many external peripherals (all of them have 64-bit drivers of some kind), and it's good that the X58 systems accept XP in both bit forms.

There is still time to decide anyways. I don't have the money for the system, and the GTX285 still isn't out anywhere.

Well it doesn't hurt to dream man. I'm not ready to upgrade yet either. So I've been dreaming with you. That said the best chance for success when ready is to have a good plan which I can see ypu have a good one. last comment on Vista vs XP I'm more concerned about chipset drivers maturing that function with the OS this is where all the performance comes from and I hardly think they're concerned about accommodating XPx64 .

Here something to dreamabout
    Of course you've probably read this too
    Last edited by owcraftsman; 12-29-2008 at 11:26 AM. Reason: ?sp

Thanks for the links.

I just checked the downloads Asus have for the P6T Deluxe motherboard. The last (and only) Chipset driver is dated 10/10/2008 and is for both XP/Vista 32/64, so I'm covered there. Audio, LAN and (perhaps most importantly) BIOS are also covered for XP64. Hopefully the BIOS on the P6T Deluxe I get will be the latest so I won't have to flash anything.

The GTX295 is certainly an impressive card, no doubt. However I'm still opting for it's single-GPU relative, the GTX285.

Quote Originally Posted by owcraftsman View Post
    That is very impressive. It'll definitely be something I look into.

Thread Information