Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Need help upgrading my computer!

Default Need help upgrading my computer!

OK, I have not been on this forum or checked PC hardware prices in YEARS! Because I basiclly am happy with what I have.

But when I wanted to get GTA IV for PC, the box said that the MINIMUM requirement was for a dual core chip and motherboard.

To tell you the truth, I am so far behind in my computer I may need a complete overhaul!

Here are my specs (Sad to say they are WAY, WAY out of date as far as keeping up with hardware...even minimum hardware as it goes)

WIN XP PRO SP3
    1- CRT Xflat 19 inch monitor
    1- Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe Motherboard
    1- AMD Athlon single core chip XP 3200
    2-gigs of PC 2700 RAM (Samsung I think)
    1-LG DVD 20x Burner
    1-Lite on 20x DVD Burner
    1-zip100 drive (NOW you know how OLD my computer is)
    1-3.5 floopy drive (NOW you REALLY know how old we are talking)
    1-Soundblaster Audigy 2 soundcard
    1-Radeon X1300 series Video card
    1-5 hub PCI 2.0 card
    1-80 gig Western Digital Hard drive WD800JB
    1-PCI TV card with tuner 7130
    1-ATX case with 4 bins for DVD drives and two bins for 3.5 and 4 bins for hard drives

Again....I know all of this is out of date BADLY! But what would you suggest?

I DO NOT WANT a PRE BUILT SYSTEM! Because a lot of companies like dell and others cripple their BIOS and other things you may need to get into on a regular system you built yourself and you just can't on those,so I would rather NOT go down the "pre-built" road.

I would rather have my own built by someone. Can you suggest a decent system withouyt breaking the bank?
    If I just need a motherboard, chip and RAM, I have a friend that could put those in...IF theytwould work with all my older hardware. But that is another problem....the video and sound cards are WAY out of date and probably would need to be updated as well.

I absolutely hate upgrading my computer, but I am so far behind that I guess it is time.

So what could I build at a reasonably low cost to replace my aging computer. I love AMD processors because they are cheaper, but could go with intel if they are cheap enough. I am looking for some way I can future proof my computer...if only for a short while. While staying on a budget.

I don't know WHAT to say my budget will be, but I was hoping to be able to use some of my old stuff if I can, if not,I will just get a new case, motherboard chip and ram and go from there.

So what would some of you more experienced users that have been building for awhile suggest? Completyely start from scratch, or try to save what I can? Again, I KNOW my computer is old and out of date, but I just put off upgrading for as long as I could. Now it has caught up with me.
    Last edited by webe3; 12-22-2008 at 09:45 AM.
    Here are my specs:
    System Specs: ATX generic case with Antec 550 watt power supply. ASUS A7N8X Deluxe Motherboard. Western Digital 7,200 RPM 40 gig IDE Hard Drive.(NTFS- file system) AMD Athlon XP 2600 processor.(standard fan and heatsink-Thoroughbred Core-standard speed-NO OVERCLOCK) 1 gig of Samsung DDRAM(PC 2700- 333 mhz....2-512mb sticks running in dual channel mode).Ati Radeon 8x 9600 XT (8x is enabled on motherboard). Soundblaster Audigy 2 sound card. Motorola sb 5100 cable modem (Insight Communications-Cable Connection) BenQ 16x DVD- RECORDER.(records -R/-RW or +R/+RW and CD-R formats) LG 52x32x52 CD Burner. Zip 100 internal drive and a generic 3.5 floppy drive. Windows XP Professional Operating System. I also have a HP Deskjet 3520 inkjet printer and a KDS X Flat 17 inch CRT monitor.

Default Re: Need help upgrading my computer!

Here are my specs:
    System Specs: ATX generic case with Antec 550 watt power supply. ASUS A7N8X Deluxe Motherboard. Western Digital 7,200 RPM 40 gig IDE Hard Drive.(NTFS- file system) AMD Athlon XP 2600 processor.(standard fan and heatsink-Thoroughbred Core-standard speed-NO OVERCLOCK) 1 gig of Samsung DDRAM(PC 2700- 333 mhz....2-512mb sticks running in dual channel mode).Ati Radeon 8x 9600 XT (8x is enabled on motherboard). Soundblaster Audigy 2 sound card. Motorola sb 5100 cable modem (Insight Communications-Cable Connection) BenQ 16x DVD- RECORDER.(records -R/-RW or +R/+RW and CD-R formats) LG 52x32x52 CD Burner. Zip 100 internal drive and a generic 3.5 floppy drive. Windows XP Professional Operating System. I also have a HP Deskjet 3520 inkjet printer and a KDS X Flat 17 inch CRT monitor.

owcraftsman is offline Junior Member

owcraftsman is offline Junior Member

Default Re: Need help upgrading my computer!

First off let me say I'm not here to put down XP pro x64 it is a mature stable OS for it's intended use.

Windows XP SP3 - And So It Ends - June 30, 2008 and April 2014 - Softpedia
    Remember the difference between Vista 64 bit and Windows XP pro x64 is that Vista is directed to a gamers and a media consumer’s world. Windows x64 is directed to a business minded individual server based world. If you have the right software and hardware it will exceed the performance of Vista but those are server based components. On the other hand with the advent of Windows 7 and the i7 architecture software and components will be heading in a entirely different direction and 64 bit will be king. That said I don't think there will be a rush to catch XPx64 up instead as with most rulers his/her needs will come first.

I realize this is a XPsp2 vs Vsp1 comparison but it's indicative of a trend I'm trying to get across to you.

Games performance: Vista x64 SP1 vs XP x64 SP2, by ComputerBase

Okay so maybe I'm just optimistic but I believe the newer OS will get the Lions share of improvements consider Window7 is Vista re-baked so it's not hard to conclude where M$ focus will be manifested.
    Windows Vista SP2 beta performance even in it's beta form the trend emerges gaming, multimedia, storage, and new tech enhancements continue. No stellar results yet but the same can't be said for XP x64. A lot can happen between now and the official release in April. So I expect quit a bit of overall performance gains especially in gaming and sli/crossfire. Mr. Opto maybe I should change my handle. lol

Thread Information