Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Computer freezes during game installation

Default Computer freezes during game installation

I just upgraded to AMD Phenom II 940, Gagbyte MA790x-UD4, and G Skill Pi Black (2GB x 2). I reinstalled windows after the upgrade and everything works great except...I cannot install games. My entire computer freezes and I must force restart. I know the image of the disks are not bad because the games installed fine prior to the upgrade. I also am running GeForce 8800GS with an Antec 500w PSU. What could this be causing the install problem? I ran memtest with no errors. Heard it could be a temp issue so I downloaded DanSpeed 4.37, but I dont really know what is good temp. I also ran Prime92 and two of the tests receieved fatal errors, but unfortunately they can't narrow the problem down. I ran my build at Antec's power calculator and it reccomends 650W. Could it be a power issue?

Default Re: Computer freezes during game installation

Since it is a rebuilt OS, I would visit all your driver versions, especially for the chipset/motherboard and relevant patches. You mention "windows" but not what version. XP Pro? Home? Vista 32? Vista 64? 7?

Sorry about that. I am running XP Pro. I believe that all my drivers and bios are up to date. Is there a way to check, other than going to each manufacturers website?

I may have come across a problem, not sure though. Looking into my memory, which I bought as a combo from newegg with the PII processor, it appears that it mostly supports intel chipsets. And my board is not listed as a qualified board. (DDR2) Any suggestions?

Well, I would make sure that your DDR2 memory has the right voltage. Many boards assume 1.8V and some memory is rated much higher, like 2.0V. Try upping the voltage a tad from the BIOS determined value. You may also want to manually set the memorytimings instead of using the SPD values.

Hi everyone first post.
    Swingking, I will be watching this thread closely. I too have a phenom ii 940 in a MA-790x-UD4 using XP pro and am seeing this exact problem - games that I had installed on my previous build will reach somewhere between 30%-60% and freeze completely requiring a hard reboot - everthing else runs fine.
    Also, this morning I had "checksum failed" dispalyed and the bios reloaded (dual bios) I thought it was a RAM problem also I am using 2 x 2gb Team Xtreem Dark memory. Although this memory is sold as DDR2 1066 it is actually DDR2 800 guaranteed to run at 1066, currently running at DDR2 800 @1.8v though Team Group Inc.
    Have you played around with any bios settings? eg change CPU multi or something. My first step tonight will be reset bios to default settings as I have been playing in there a bit ;) then maybe up voltage on memory as heavy suggested.
    I don;t think this is a heat or power issue as I am running an antec900 case with a coolermaster V8 cpu cooler (cpu low 40's) and a brand new corsair HX620W.
    Just for the complete picture I also have a 150gb velociraptor as the system drive, a WD 1TB for storage, pioneer 216 optical and a sapphire 4850x2 1 gb. Sounds like the only common element is MOBO/CPU though and XP pro of course.
    Last edited by 1badlad!; 03-13-2009 at 08:43 AM. Reason: spelling

I reset the bios after I updated to F2. I believe the problem lies in mounting the images, because I can extract the iso and install perfect from there.

Hi all I m new to this forum i have registerd when i saw this thread.
    My brand new rig is
    Gigabyte MA790X-UD4, AMD 790X+SB750, S. AM2, 6xSATA RAID, DDR2
    Procesor AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition, socket AM2+, BOX
    2 x DDR2 2048Mb ( 2Gb ) PC8500 Kingmax , 1066MHz, KLEE88F-B8KO6 CORSAIR 650W, TX Series CMPSU-650TXEU, 12cm vent,ATX2 XFX HD4870 1Gb DDR5 XXX 775MHz, Dual DVI, HDTV out, HD-487A-ZDDC
    Frontier Shinobi ExtraMidi Tower, LCD display, Black
    HDD is WD 250GB is a year old (tested it with TUNE UP disc doctor and it showed me no errors) (hdd life says healthy)

fresh instlled OS WIN XP 32bit SP3

My problem is: Random restarts and failure to install games (GTA4 Warhammer 2 and Rise of the Argonauts).

Ran mem (standard setup) test for 5 h and got 0 error.

But then I used

Bit fade test
    address range: all
    mem sizing bios all
    errors 5888
    failing address 000e0000000-3584mb (it was form 4*** to 3584)
    good ffffffff

fade test address range: all
    mem sizing: probe
    instantly the interface falls apart and hangs

Then I removed 2 GB and ran mem test again
    same errors on same address form 4*** to 3584
    How can i have that address when i have 2 GB of RAM??
    The same happened with the other 2 GB of ram

I tried to rotate rams, run on 2 GB only and i get the same problem can't install anything.

I have used Burn In program. Ih tests CPU GPU RAM HDD. With 4 GB of ram i got few restarts and (look at the attachment). Then i have tested every module separately and got no errors. I tried to use a spare 1 GB Kingmax 800 mhz module and PC crashed again.

My bios is on default. Verson of bios is 2FA

Temps are from 40 oC to 60 oC (most of the time around 50oC)

I would aprechiate any help i can get.
    Thank you in advance.

P.S. Sorry for bad English!

I`ve been having a similar problem with mounting image files from daemon tools... Also have a gigabyte mobo ga ma770-ud3!
    Solution is removing Gigabyte Energy Saver from computer or killing "GSvr" process from "task manager"!

O thank you for your reply. I have installed new OS 64 bit Vista. And in the process i haven't installed energy saver... It worked flawless since... So it was daemon tools and gigabytes energy saver.

Thread Information