Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: PC Won't Boot After PSU Replaced

Sunyb36 is offline Junior Member

Angry PC Won't Boot After PSU Replaced

I just replaced my undersized 300W PSU with a XION 630W PSU.

I noticed immediately that the new unit had many cables that I would not need, but I quickly realized that it didn't have enough of the cables I did need.

My old PSU had 4 SATA connectors and this one has 2 SATA connectors.

Based on the harware within my pc, I need 3. With my old PSU I had one SATA connected to my DVD drive, one connected to my DVD RW drive and one connected to my hard drive.

I connected the 2 SATA connectors on the new PSU to the 2 optical drives and was left with a 4 hole molex clip for the hard drive. Although it looked like a perfect fit, it was like putting the square peg in the round hole...no chance.

When I turned on the computer, the unit powered on, all the fans worked, both optical drives worked, the monitor worked, but I received the following error:

SATA 0 installed
    SATA 1 None
    SATA 2 None
    SATA 3 None
    No boot disk detected.

I went back inside the pc and took one of the SATA cables off of an optical drive and connected it to the hard drive. I figured the pc would boot, but I wouldn't have use of that one optical drive. As it turns out, the error message was almost identical, except I believe it said that SATA 1 was installed and all the others weren't.

A friend told me that all I need to do is buy an adatper so I have another SATA for the hard drive. He wasn't sure if I want to convert one of the large 4 hole peripheral connectors to a SATA or the 4 hole Molex to an SATA, but he figured that was my fix.

If somebody can please let me know what I need it would be greatly appreciated. I am a little skeptical that the adapter will do the trick, since taking one of the SATA connectors off an optical drive and connecting to the hard drive, did not allow me to boot the computer.

Please advise

Thank You,
    Sunyb36

Default Re: PC Won't Boot After PSU Replaced

You should have 2 wires plugged in the hard drive. 1 Power Adapter/1 Data Cable. Double check the Data Cable. Plug the HDD Data cable into SATA2_0 on the motherboard.
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ench-test.html
    http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/FileList...ios_qflash.pdf
    Phenom II 945 @ 3.2Ghz w/Thermaltake Big Typhoon Pro 14 CPU Cooler
    Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H rev.1.1 F11
    Sapphire 3870HD / 100225L / 512MB / ddr4
    4GB / Kingston / KHX8500D2K2/2GN / 5-5-5-18 / 1066Mhz
    (2) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA RAID-0
    (1) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA AHCI
    (2) IDE's 1 8XdualDVDRW 1 52x32x52x CDRW
    Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
    Mid size ATX case with show through panel
    2) 80x80 front fans (1) 120x120 rear fan and small nb fan
    Microsoft comfort curve USB keyboard 2000 ver.1.0
    Logitech G500 USB mouse
    Monitor: CMV937A
    7.1+2 Channel High Definition ALC889A
    Dual boot Windows 7 32bit home & Windows 7 64bit home

If your hard drive has pins to plug in a 4 pin molex connector and it didn't fit.... flip it around. It's made to go in only 1 way. ........ and only have 1 power connector to it....IE: sata&molex....major nono.
    They do give descriptions of what the power supplies consist of..... watts/amps/connectors.......etc. Sounds like you shopped price vs versatility.

Sunyb36 is offline Junior Member

Data cables were never touched and not the issue.

I did go back and check the motherboard end of the hard drive datas cable and all looks fine.

I guess my knowledge of PS unit features was a bit lacking. I was primarily focused on Watts, Amps on the 12volt rail/s and reviews from users who purchased this unit. All seemed very good, price appeared to be a bonus not a compromise.

Having said that, the problem still remains and nobody actually addressed my question...will an adapter allow me to convert an extra connector to a SATA plug, so I can plug it into the SATA interface on the hard drive and will that allow the computer to boot?

Thanks Guys!!!

Yes, you can get a molex to SATA cables.

Thread Information