Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Computer detective--what the crap happened

Default Computer detective--what the crap happened

A friend and I were messing with a computer and we have sort of different ideas of what happened (our expertise is IT). I will present the situation and I'd like to ask a few questions as to what you guys think.

This computer has been sitting in a shed (probably up to 140 degree heat and large amounts of bird poop) for a few months.

It's an amd 462 pin processor (2 ghz) plugged into a foxconn board being ran by a 350 Watt cooler master with internal graphics.

First boot--nothing weird happened. It just told me that the cmos defaults were reset and went along its way. It booted into xp with no problems. I hadn't messed with the heat sink or anything yet. The cpu fan was running, etc, etc.

Somewhere around the next few boots it stopped booting video but it seemed to post (there was no beep however the cd drive and hard drive would spin up). It didn't matter whether I reset the cmos or used an external vid card, it wouldn't boot.

I took off the heat sink (while everything was off, unplugged, etc) and everything seemed ok. The cpu looked ok. I noticed the heat sink, fan underside had dried compound and it didn't look like it was doing much but I could still feel heat on the heat sink being conducted so I figured it wasn't having an issue. Every now and then I'd get video and it would post and everything (I don't think there was a beep sound, the speaker might not work).

In between it not working I decided to clean the dried compound off of the cpu and the heat sink because I figured it wasn't doing much good. (no thermal grease on anything at this point).

I tried another power supply of unknown condition and it didn't even power on so I went back to the original one and that's when I smelled burning silicon and sure enough, it had fried the cpu. There was a bubble on the underside of the cpu.

Q1: Did this thing fry because of heat or a bad PSU? Is there a way to tell? What's the probability of each?

Q2: Could you fry a cpu with poorly applied thermal compound or NO thermal compound? I used to run old comps (win 95 and before) with no thermal compound and I never had issues.

Thanks.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Computer detective--what the crap happened

In between it not working I decided to clean the dried compound off of the cpu and the heat sink because I figured it wasn't doing much good. (no thermal grease on anything at this point).

I tried another power supply of unknown condition and it didn't even power on so I went back to the original one and that's when I smelled burning silicon and sure enough, it had fried the cpu. There was a bubble on the underside of the cpu.
    In that order?

If so then it sounds to me like you fried the CPU due to no thermal paste, unless you did indeed put some new thermal paste on and forgot to mention it.

You are right though, it may not be so important with some setups, but they way you explained things happened it sounds like it was necessary to this setup :)

I'd get a new CPU on ebay or just trash the system and call it a day

No I didn't put new thermal paste on. I think it was because the paste had hardened and there was an error gap. although it looked like the processor was a brown color before I even powered it on. Can underwatting a computer with a weak PSU fry a mobo/cpu? And actually the board no longer seems to work. I am thinking maybe the board fried the cpu. Idk. But I've ran computers without thermal paste before and never had issues, so idk.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Yes under-volting can damage things, but it sounds to me like the CPU was fried previously or after you removed the heatsink and put it back on.

Don't run CPU's without thermal paste! It may have been ok back in the early 90's, but even with that kind of hardware you shouldn't

maybe it wouldn't boot coz there are bloated caps in the board....

Thread Information