Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NZXT HALE90 750W 80+ Gold Power Supply - Unboxing & Quick Look

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default NZXT HALE90 750W 80+ Gold Power Supply - Unboxing & Quick Look

NZXT HALE90 750W 80+ Gold Power Supply
    Unboxing & Quick Look

The NZXT HALE90 power supplies look absolutely stunning, offering jaw dropping looks, and very efficient power delivery!

A few weeks ago I ran into a review by JonnyGuru on the 850W HALE90, after taking in his awesome review I knew the HALE90 was to be my next power supply!

Currently I've been benching and doing reviews with only a single power supply on hand, and having to tear that out of my main machine anytime I want to bench or test out anything else in another configuration has been a real hassle.

The team at NZXT heard about my issues and concerns and were more than happy to help, which is most appreciated, they are great to deal with and I'm happy to have been given the opportunity to talk with them! Due to that awesomeness, I'd like to offer a big thank you to the very helpful team over at NZXT for being able to send over one of these units!

NZXT is more commonly associated with computer cases, case accessories, fan control devices, but they have recently jumped back into the power supply realm introducing the HALE90 series. They have a few lines of power supplies in the past, but that has never been their main focus. Coming back into the PSU scene with the HALE90 has really made a statement, these unit's hold very steady & clean rails and perform superbly. The white casing looks really great, and the modular cabling, which is a must to many, has been very well designed!

While I personally do not have the necessary equipment or skills needed to properly review a power supply, I knew a quick look / unboxing thread would be a great way to convey some thoughts to many of you on these units.

Let's jump in and have a look at the NZXT HALE90 750W specifications, and take a quick look at the unit itself.

Specifications:

• 80+ Gold certified: The HALE 90 series from NZXT operates at ultra high efficiency, at 20%, 50% and 100% loads, efficiencies are 87%, 90%, and 87% respectively.

• Single140mm two ball-bearing fan operates with minimal noise even at full load. Maximum decibel levels are 20db for wattages between 550-750W and 30db for 850W and above.

• Strong Single Rail Design: A single +12V rail provides stability and ease of use making the most out of your power supply. Offers stable & clean current delivery under heavy load.

• Modular cable design: Modular cable design allows the user to pick and choose which cables they want to use, optimizing cable management and airflow inside the chassis. Flat cables allow for easier routing and bending inside the computer chassis during wire management.

• Hybrid LLC resonant Topology circuitry allows the HALE series to create highly efficient power supplies ranging from 550W-> 1000W.

• Full range Design from 100V – 250V with Active PFC.

• 100% Japanese Capacitors: High quality components for longer life time and better reliability.

• Latest CPU support for all the latest INTEL and AMD CPUs like Corei7, i5, AMD Phenom II X4, X3.

• Latest GPU support, ideal for latest DX11 GPUs and comes with 8pin and 8(6+2) pin PCI-E connectors.

• Large tower support: The Hale Series of power supplies have extended 8pin CPU connectors for wire management in large cases which have PSUs mounted at the bottom.

• Compliance with ATX 12V v2.2, EPS 12V v2.91, and SSI EPS 12V v2.92 Specifications.

• Environmentally Responsible: Consuming less than 1W during shut off status Complies with the newest EuP ( Energy-using Products) requirements and USA Energy star standards.

• Continuous Power: The HALE 90 series listed wattage is the continuous operating wattage.

• Keeping it safe: The HALE series offers over voltage, current, power, under voltage, and short circuit protection. The power supply will automatically shutdown to prevent any damage to your system or misuse.

• Warranty: 5 Years

Cables:
    ATX / BTX motherboard power connector (20+4Pin) X 1 (Hard-wired - Longer than online spec @ 23-24")
    EPS +12V Power Connector (4+4 Pin) X 1 (Hard-wired - Longer than online spec @ 29-30")
    Peripheral connector (4 Pin) X 7
    Serial-ATA power connector X 8
    Floppy disc connector (4 Pin) X 1
    PCI-Express 6pin power connector X 2
    PCI-Express 6+2 pin power connector X 2

Further specifications, images, and other info can be found here at the NZXT HALE90 750W Homepage.

Product Images:

The hefty HALE90 package comes with it's own carrying handle, great for taking the power supply to a LAN party or over to a friends house.

A quick look at the front of the package offers the following specifications indicating this is a 80+ Gold Certified modular power supply, uses Japanese capacitors, utilizes a 14CM fan (140mm), and carries a strong single +12V rail at 62 Amps. On the side of the package you can see the efficiency and noise level graphs. You can also see that the package is shrink wrapped in plastic so you know when purchasing if the unit has been previously opened or not.

The package is designed in white much like the power supply itself, with red accents. On the front you see the above mentioned specifications, and that the HALE90 carries a 5 year warranty. There is also a slanted preview window, showing a small glimpse at the white power supply and fan which is also matching white.

On the reverse of the package is listed the full specifications, wattage ratings, some of the design features, and the cable amounts and configurations.

One side of the package lists the regulatory specifications, and the other shows a better look at the previously imaged efficiency and noise specifications.

Once inside the box you can see that NZXT has safely padded the contents, and they are neatly packed away for safe shipment.

The contents of the package include the awesome power supply of course, a standard 120V power cable, the manual, 4 thumb-screws, and a nice canvas cable bag holding all the modular cables.

Another look at the contents, minus the ohh so sexy power supply. The modular cables are labeled except for the 4 pin molex cables.
    These are the flat type modular cables so they are very easy to work with when trying to manage cable arrangement in your case.

This is a great cable bag, it's made of canvas so it's very durable. The NZXT log is printed on the font, and the bag is secured with a long strip of Velcro which closes easily and securely.

Finally we are able to take a closer look at this sexy power supply!

The white casing looks very nice, great for users looking to make a statement, or wanting something out of the ordinary. The inner 140mm white fan, under a black wire grill, compliments the casing exterior. There is 8 modular connections, and 2 hard-wired cables.

The 750W unit has only 2 non-modular cables, the 20+4 pin main power cable (23-24"), and the 4+4 pin ATX 12V CPU power cable (29-30"). These cables both have been extended past the listed specializations for the unit, making connections in large cases much easier for users with larger cases.

It's great to see NZXT taking a break from the normal routine and going with white for the HALE90. It's very refreshing, in a world of all black power supplies, to see something different for a change. Here you can see the power supply in all it's glory, showing how nicely the fan grill in black matches the overall look.

The sides of the unit are fairly standard with one offering the power specifications, and the other has nothing except the NZXT logo stamped into the side.

A closer look connection side of the power supply we can see the main hard-wired cables are sleeved all the way into the casing, which means it's should stay securely in place. Sleeving into the unit like this does make it harder for modders to sleeve the cables in a color of their own choice, but I'm sure those interested, such as myself, will still be able to sleeve as they wish.

The bottom has four mounting screw holes, and a patent sticker, not much to see here.

From the top you can see the large 140mm silent fan, and the "Void if Removed" warranty sticker. In the middle of the fan grill is the NZXT logo, protected from scratches by a removable film sticker. The rear of the unit has breathable hex screen to allow warm air to be expelled from the rear, also located here is the power switch and an active PFC power label.

Due to lack of the necessary hardware, and needed skills, I'm unable to perform an actual review on this unit, however, I will be pushing the unit under extreme benching conditions very soon. This unit will be replacing an 850W unit that I normally use for extreme benching, so we'll soon see how it stacks up under pressure. If this unit performs like it's larger 850W brother reviewed by JonnyGuru, then I'm sure it will be up for the tasks I have in mind.

I hope you have enjoyed my quick look into the NZXT HALE90 750W, if you have any questions or comments feel free to let me know.

I'll be sure to keep everyone posted on how this unit performs under extreme conditions, once that testing has commenced.

Again, Thanks to NZXT for being able to provide this sample!
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 11-23-2010 at 03:22 PM.

Default Re: NZXT HALE90 750W 80+ Gold Power Supply - Unboxing & Quick Look

That's one nice looking PSU. I was hoping they would make it to a 100% modular psu, that would've sealed the deal even more. :))

Quote Originally Posted by babolgam View Post
    That's one nice looking PSU. I was hoping they would make it to a 100% modular psu, that would've sealed the deal even more. :))
    +1 one on that idea...

love the color... 100% modular would be better...

Quote Originally Posted by babolgam View Post
    Ya, all modular would be nice, but this only only has 24 pin and 8 pin, so those are for sure used anyway :)

Very nice PSU here, I will be sleeving the cables individually in UV blue, can;t wait to see how that will look against the white!

Neat :)
    Ive ordered the 1000w version, the Tagan is letting me down :(

I dig that they use a longer 8pin cable for bottom mounted PSUs, Tagan did provide an expander but of course I ignored it and forgot all about it. Almost gave up and moved the PSU to the top...

Looks like Super Flower (behind the NZXT HALE) are quite huge in the business, with 22 80 Plus Gold rated PSUs and one Platinum. Definitely a safe bet.

Think Corsair and Sea Sonic will get some heavy competition now that NZXT are on the line :)
    <<< System Summary >>>
    > Power Supply: NZXT HALE 90 1000w
    > Mainboard : Gigabyte GA-X58-UD5
    > Chipset : Intel X58
    > Processor : Intel i7 920 @ 3800 MHz
    > HSF: Cooler Master V8 - Arctic Silver 5
    > Physical Memory : Corsair Dominator GT PC3-12800 6GB
    > Video Card : Gainward GTX 470 SLI
    > Monitor : LG 23" 3D Vision
    > Operating System : Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Wow, cool!

I am really impressed with the quality of these, you will be happy with the purchase for sure!

I do think you're right, I believe JonnyGuru said they are Super Flower builds.

I was sold as soon as I saw them, aside from the looks the cables are long enough for any case, the prices are good, and JonnyGuru's review shows they are a great performer.

Let me know how you like it once it arrives, I'm sure you will be happy!

Just installed it :) Its quite a looker!
    It had these pre-mounted cables:
    2 x P4 (CPU)
    2 x 6 pin (+2x1) PCI-e
    P1

Id like to have all the cables modular and flat, but it didnt really bother me as I needed all of them except the second 8 pin CPU cable.

The bag was full of goodies, tons of PCI-e cables, molex, SATA, molex+SATA and molex+floppy.

It didnt blow up or melt, so so far Im really happy with it

edit. And there was the freeze ups gone.
    Last edited by Kakeshoma; 01-04-2011 at 01:40 AM.
    <<< System Summary >>>

Nice, glad to see you like it!

Man, they are very quiet, you agree?

Ahh, ok on the cables, well the JonnyGuru review showed many unneeded ones (molex and floppy x2 I think, plus the rest). So maybe they saw his comments and changed things?

Ya that is odd to have 2 x 8 Pin CPU cables, only a few boards even offer these connections.

Super cool, so this fixed your issues as well right? If so great to hear, and I'm glad this post helped you decided on looking into these, they are great PSU's!

Yessir, thanks.
    I dont think I can actually hear the PSU over the other fans, so very quite indeed :)

Yeah there is only one cable with molex and floppy, so they might have changed things.

The computer would freeze completely within minutes in any game with the old PSU, its all gone now, rock stable.
    <<< System Summary >>>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information