Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Can't power up new build

Question Can't power up new build

I am looking for some assistance in trouble shooting a new system I just built. Thought it was all ok, until I tried to power up and nothing happened.

When I connect the power cable, a small LED illuminates on the on-board power switch on my ASUS Z87 motherboard. When I turn on the power switch on the Antec HCP-1000 power supply, this LED goes off. At this point, pressing the front panel power-on switch, or the on-board power-on switch, has no effect. No other indicators are on, and no fans are running.

I am wondering if I have all the necessary power cables connected? There is a large 24-pin power cable connected to the mobo to the right of the RAM bank. The other end of this cable is split into two connectors: a 20-pin conn. that I plugged into the MB socket on the PS, and a smaller 8-pin conn. that I plugged into one of the 12V sockets.

There is another cable that I believe is a 12v delivery system for the CPU, that is plugged into the mobo in the upper left near the I/O panel - the other end is plugged into one of the 12v sockets on the PS.

I would appreciate any suggestions or ideas to trouble shoot this.

One question: will the PS run without load? That is, will the unit's fan run without any of the outputs connected?

boondocks is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Can't power up new build

Quote Originally Posted by Pauleduc View Post
    I am looking for some assistance in trouble shooting a new system I just built. Thought it was all ok, until I tried to power up and nothing happened.

When I connect the power cable, a small LED illuminates on the on-board power switch on my ASUS Z87 motherboard. When I turn on the power switch on the Antec HCP-1000 power supply, this LED goes off. At this point, pressing the front panel power-on switch, or the on-board power-on switch, has no effect. No other indicators are on, and no fans are running.

I am wondering if I have all the necessary power cables connected? There is a large 24-pin power cable connected to the mobo to the right of the RAM bank. The other end of this cable is split into two connectors: a 20-pin conn. that I plugged into the MB socket on the PS, and a smaller 8-pin conn. that I plugged into one of the 12V sockets.

There is another cable that I believe is a 12v delivery system for the CPU, that is plugged into the mobo in the upper left near the I/O panel - the other end is plugged into one of the 12v sockets on the PS.

I would appreciate any suggestions or ideas to trouble shoot this.

One question: will the PS run without load? That is, will the unit's fan run without any of the outputs connected?
    Welcome to TT.
    Last thing first: the psu will run if the proper connection is made through the motherboard -or- if pin 16 is shorted to one of the psu grounds.
    Another thing is that the psu fan will not necessarily run all the time, it depends on the model and how it's set up.

But otherwise it sounds like all the power cables are hooked up...just double check and make sure they all have a good tight connection.
    Have you checked the front panel header on the motherboard to make sure each item is plugged in properly? (refer to the motherboard manual) Just to make sure you haven't swapped any wires around.

Go through all your connections and if you have no luck then you might consider pulling the motherboard out of the case and sitting it on the box it came in.....this will eliminate any possible shorts. Connect everything up and see if it works.
    Maximus 8 Hero/6700K @ 4.8/4x4GB LPX @ 3200 15-17-17-36 CR1
    Case Labs SM8 w/dual pedestals / Custom water w/ acrylic pipe / Light box
    PowerColor 390Xw/EK block / Samsung 840 Pro 256GBx2 RAID 0 / 128GBx1 SSD's | 3 HDD's / DVD burner
    Dual Aquaero 5 Pro controllers for pumps & fans / FC9 for led's only 2xD5 pwm w/Bitspower tops - MCP35x2 - 3x480 rads/1x240 rad/AP15 fans / EK supremcy
    Seasonic Platinum 1000w custom fabbed/sleeved psu wiring by me

Wifes: Z77X-UD5H / 3770K w/c with Raystorm copper block & 2 Rads/ Kingston HyperX RAM / Switch 810 case/ PowerColor AX7950 w/EK block
    HTPC: Z68 Pro3 M / 2105

SOLD:Z97X-UD5H /4790K/F11b mod BIOS/4.8@1.38 4x4GB Kingston Genesis KHX24C11X3K4 2400 RAM 11-13-13-30
    SOLD:Z87X-UD5H /4770K

Thank you very much for the reply..

After working all day, eliminating this and that, it became apparent that the mobo was DOA. Returned it to the dealer, with my CPU and RAM installed, and he bench tested it as well, and confirmed it was DOA.

Got a new one from stock, moved my CPU and RAM over, and it fired up just fine. Brought it home, put it back into the chassis, and it worked perfectly.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

boondocks is offline Senior Member

Glad you got it going!
    Maximus 8 Hero/6700K @ 4.8/4x4GB LPX @ 3200 15-17-17-36 CR1
    Case Labs SM8 w/dual pedestals / Custom water w/ acrylic pipe / Light box
    PowerColor 390Xw/EK block / Samsung 840 Pro 256GBx2 RAID 0 / 128GBx1 SSD's | 3 HDD's / DVD burner
    Dual Aquaero 5 Pro controllers for pumps & fans / FC9 for led's only 2xD5 pwm w/Bitspower tops - MCP35x2 - 3x480 rads/1x240 rad/AP15 fans / EK supremcy
    Seasonic Platinum 1000w custom fabbed/sleeved psu wiring by me

Wifes: Z77X-UD5H / 3770K w/c with Raystorm copper block & 2 Rads/ Kingston HyperX RAM / Switch 810 case/ PowerColor AX7950 w/EK block
    HTPC: Z68 Pro3 M / 2105

SOLD:Z97X-UD5H /4790K/F11b mod BIOS/4.8@1.38 4x4GB Kingston Genesis KHX24C11X3K4 2400 RAM 11-13-13-30
    SOLD:Z87X-UD5H /4770K

Thread Information