Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: advanced ftp software

essentially what i need to do is ftp from one xbox to another xbox using the computer as a host. but i have to do the ftp through the computer. so are there any ftp programs out the that allow you to ftp connect to 2 different isps and act as a server for them?
    (the reason for this is because i need to xfer 100 gigs of info from one to the other but i dont have that much room on my hard drive right now ;) i only got like 4 gigs left on my 200 gig, hehe.)

:confused: If i understand your post right, you are looking for ftp server software?

I'd recomend filezilla, they have both client and server software (although I've only used the client to-date). It's open-source and free :)
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

I don't much about using the xbox in that way, but some of the stuff your asking doesn't make sense.

so are there any ftp programs out the that allow you to ftp connect to 2 different isps and act as a server for them?
    Firstly, ISPs don't come into the picture. You just need a hub or router and some cat5 ethernet cables (or just a crossover cable, but will be simpler with the other compnents instead). You will want an FTP server program on your computer and whatever program you will use as your FTP client on your xbox (can't help you there, I don't even own an xbox). Assuming you're going through a hub or router, you will just need to know the network IP of your computer and the port of your FTP server (21, most likely). In your xbox's FTP client you'll type the IP of the computer. You may have to type the port as well, so for example:
    192.168.1.100:21

For an FTP server program, I found this list:
    http://www.sofotex.com/download/FTP_...e/Ftp_Servers/
    I don't know if Apache can act as an FTP server but it's the most popular Web (HTTP) server out there by far. Someone else can help you with the xbox.

Edit: minibubba beats me to it with the programs.

ya, i wish i could put ftp software on my xbox but i cant. it would definately make things easier. and i am using a router with the xboxs. the problem is i have 2 xboxs, 100 gigs to transfer from one to the other, and i cant ftp that 100 gigs onto my computer then onto the other xbox due to lack on space. so i need to transfer directly from one xbox to the other using my computer to do so.

I see. No problem, unless it you have a single hundred gig file.:eek: Just transfer some of the files to the computer, but don't take up all the space. When you have taken up a large portion of the space, transfer the files from the computer to the other xbox. Rinse and repeat until done. Does xbox come built in with an FTP client or what:?: ? I figured you had a mod chip and Linux on it or something.

If you want to transfer files from XBox-A to XBox-B without touching your computer itself (either your bandwidth or storage), what you're looking for is an FXP program... I used to use FlashFXP for many years, you can find it at www.flashfxp.com
    386 DX40, 4mb 80ns EDO RAM, .5mb Trident VGA, 120mb 2200rpm JTS HDD, SoundBlaster ISA, Zoltrix 2400bps modem, 2x Creative CDROM (tray loading), Panasonic 3.5" FDD/5.25" FDD, Samsung 14" UVGA Monitor
    -----

/Z

i have flashfxp actually and i didnt know that it could do that. how do i go about doing that?

sorry, I read the post a bit backwards... you don't currently have any FTP Daemon (server) software on the XBox's? I'm not sure its possible with un-hacked XBox's, but I've read that it is with modded ones..

however, if/once you are able to setup ftp server software on each of the XBox's, you can use FlashFXP to transfer the files easilly/quickly... but I guess the server is your main concern first :)

and the short/quick walkthrough for FXP'ing.. connect to FTP1 in left window, connect to FTP2 in right window, navigate folders as normal, double-click file to transfer.. there might still be different tabs for Local or Remote navigation, Local = your hdd (acts like a normal FTP client), Remote = FXP (sends file directly to other site)
    386 DX40, 4mb 80ns EDO RAM, .5mb Trident VGA, 120mb 2200rpm JTS HDD, SoundBlaster ISA, Zoltrix 2400bps modem, 2x Creative CDROM (tray loading), Panasonic 3.5" FDD/5.25" FDD, Samsung 14" UVGA Monitor
    -----

/Z

Thread Information