Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: DSSAGENT illegal operation in IE 5

My friend has an IBM Aptiva pc. When he opens IE 5 to access the internet, he gets an error box that reads:

DSSAGENT Illegal Operation your computer will be shut down.
    Invalid page fault in module (unknown), at 0000:007e3b57

What does this mean and how does he resolve it? When this error box appears, access to the internet is not possible. Should he do a re-install of win98 SE? Thanks...
    :)

he has been hit by a spyware. run adaware and spybot search and destroy.
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

I don't know if he has been hit by spyware. But I'll tell him to run adaware and spybot. Thanks.

I want to know why he's such an old version of IE instead of IE6sp1? Has Windows been updated at all? :?:

"I want to know why he's such an old version of IE instead of IE6sp1? Has Windows been updated at all? "

I really don't know why he's running an old version of IE. He's the type of person that sometimes has a difficult time understanding computers. Although he wants to learn, he always says he has no time. Sometimes I help him out and always tell him he has to make time to learn. I guess if he does not understand something, he gives up and its no longer important to him until another problem comes up. Thats when he starts asking me again. He is using win98 SE but I don't think its been updated.

He very much needs to get IE6 SP1 - after this issue is resolved.

Really, he does!

Spybot Search & Destroy

Don't get the wrong Spybot, or he will be in worse trouble than he is now.
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

I didn't know there was a wrong version of Spybot - S & D

I got mine from a German site, but the link your post sent me to was for safer-networking.org

What is going on here?
    http://www.statgfx.com/statgfx/foldi..._original&.jpg

There are 10 kinds of people in the world...those that know binary numbers and those that don't

Quote Originally Posted by calcrazy
    I didn't know there was a wrong version of Spybot - S & D
    I got mine from a German site, but the link your post sent me to was for safer-networking.org
    What is going on here?
    i believe he's talking about this: http://www.safer-networking.org/inde...ail=2004-02-05
    For the past two weeks, I got massive complaints from people who saw recommendations for Spybot-S&D on some TV show or heard about it on radio, and tried to go for it through the TV/radios website. Somehow, a bad link to Spybot-S&D is in its way and leading people to think that SpyHunter or SpyKiller would be the recommended Spybot-S&D. People downloading these two are forced to pay to remove spyware, and in the case of SpyKiller are even directed to us for support!

So my warning: please double-check what you've got before you pay anything!

Also, if you were mislead to SpyHunter or SpyKiller through Google AdWords, please contact Google. Google promised me some weeks ago they wouldn't do any more advertisement on my trademarked name "spybot", but I again receive complaints that they do, and this struggle with Google is going on for 4 months now.

Update: I cannot recommend to use the Google search engine any more (seing how many pushed unwanted search results appear on nearly every common term, other search engines have become more efficient in my opinion anyway). Therefore I've written a small search plugin for Mozilla/Firebird/Firefox which allows to search through Altavista. My archive of search plugins can be downloaded here. Just unzip this file into your C:\Programme\mozilla.org\mozilla version\searchplugins\ folder.
    btw, safer-networking.org is the home of spybot S&D
    :cheers:
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

Thread Information