Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: DOOM3 or Half-Life2

Default DOOM3 or Half-Life2

Which one do you think will get a better rating. will HL2 come out with a better score than DOOM3 did or wil it be the other way around. Will CS:S do better than any of the DOOM3 game mods. Whats your opinion

Default Re: DOOM3 or Half-Life2

That is a very speculative question. I will prefer Doom 3, but this is mainly because I didn't care for the gameplay in the original HalfLife, so it is unlikely they'll go far from these roots. Others feel exactly the opposite, so they will enjoy HL2 a good deal more. It really comes down to the player.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Doom 3 has an interesting storyline and eats more processor power, it's got a better fear factor and relates to the original dooms a lot. But as for playability I'd have to say I prefer Half Life 2. Both HL2 and Doom 3 have limited freedom as both follow set story lines but HL2 has more freedom, better puzzles and a lot more to it.

As far as the game itself goes, most people (most, obviously there are those who don't, such as Darth) will agree the Half-Life 2 offers much better gameplay. Doom 3 is extremely repetitive and the storyline resembles that of a straight-to-video sci-fi movie. Half-Life 2 has some storyline issues of its own, but only in the sense that it leaves you wondering what the hell is going on at the end... But the gameplay itself is much varied than Doom 3 and shouldn't become repetitive.

That said, if you didn't like the original, you probably won't like Half-Life 2. It involves more outdoors action, but other than that it's quite similar (I find this to be a good thing).

In terms of multiplayer, I can't really say anything good about Doom 3. Half-life 2 and CS:S should be more enjoyable for the vast majority of players.

As far as the engines and mods go, some of the best games will likely be based on the Doom 3 engine, but the vast majority of them will probably not be free mods. Rather, they'll be their own titles that cost $40-$60. Half-Life 2, on the other hand, already has numerous mods in development and will likely produce some very interesting ones, not to mention whatever Valve comes out with on its own (which is likely to be discounted to owners of HL2).

Thread Information