Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Nukeing Valve's Steam

Angry Nukeing Valve's Steam

I just bought the "Collector's Edition" of Half-Life 2. Since I plan on returning it and getting the most bare-bones edition of Half Life 2; I want to know how to remove all traces of the Steam spyware, before I reinstall it. I have uninstalled HL2, HL1:Source, CS Source and Steam; then used System Restore to reset my Desktop to a point in time before originally installing the programs; and then deleted all System Restore points. I still have a Program Files/Valve/Steam folder, and I fear that just deleting it will still leave traces of Steam. Any help or suggestions?

Default Re: Nukeing Valve's Steam

There won't be any traces left in the operating system, but it will be possible to tell that the program was there at some point so long as the hard drive is intact in its current form, though I don't think that's what you're after...

In any case, Steam isn't a piece of spyware as you think it is. Mind you, it can, under certain circumstances, prompt you to report certain information about your computer (hardware and software information, that's it), but it doesn't collect any personal information about you and report it to Valve. That said, I do hate it quite a bit. I think it's a terrible idea that has been implemented in a terrible way. However, it's somewhat of a necessity for online play, so I'll live with it.

As for getting Half-Life 2, you should note that you'll have to activate online, Steam or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Yawgm0th
    However, it's somewhat of a necessity for online play, so I'll live with it.
    Unfortunately it is a necessity for single-player gaming as well. But I'm with you, it sucks nuts.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Quote Originally Posted by Darthtanion
    Unfortunately it is a necessity for single-player gaming as well. But I'm with you, it sucks nuts.
    Even if you buy the retail version of the game? I had though they might remove the requirement for the single-player game, but I guess not. It does suck.

But the multiplayer thing bothers me much more. Try running a LAN when a couple people don't own a game and it's not so easy to let then "borrow a copy" for the day.

Yes, even with the retail version of the game. When installing you HAVE to install the Steam software and you HAVE to log onto the Steam servers with a valid user name and password before playing; even if only using single player. You can use an offline mode but only if you have logged in successfully before.

I understand the concept of trying to protect your intellectual property but when does this "protection" go too far? Just my own opinion but I think we've just answered that question.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Quote Originally Posted by Darthtanion
    I understand the concept of trying to protect your intellectual property but when does this "protection" go too far? Just my own opinion but I think we've just answered that question.
    It went to far even before Steam. Games such as Doom 3 require you to uninstall programs such as Alcohol and Clone CD. Valve is just making thing even worse for the end-user with Steam.

Thread Information