Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Does this site seem "fishy"to you??

Default Does this site seem "fishy"to you??

OK, I got this email from this site today....and for all intents and purposes it seems to be a site that sells zipped downloads of full version OEM software. They sell Microsoft products, Adobe products....generally software that sells for hundreds of dollars more than what they are selling it for.

Now I know you can get OEM products much cheaper than you can retail products....but what sounded so "wrong" about this site, was when I read their FAQ and it stated that they gave you NO certificate of authenticity for something like a new version of windows XP.

A few years ago, I purchased an OEM version from a reputable retailer and it DID come with a certificate of authenticity....it came in the form of a small sticker that reads: you are required to affix this certificate of authenticity to the excterior of the pc" and then gave some numbers with it ....so unless the rules have somwhow changed I am wondering if that right there makes this site illegal in the US?

So am I wrong about this site and it being legally able to sell software like this?

Here is the site in question:

http://www.soft-rt.com/

And here is a FAQ where they explain about not giving a certificate of authenticity fora Microsoft product:

http://www.soft-rt.com/faq.php

This what they state on why they do not give out a certificate of authenticity on the site:

If I purchase your Windows or Office software, does it come with the Certificate of Authenticity?
    No. We do not send COA, because its OEM-version. But we send you necessary serial numbers.

It just seems strange that they do not offer vista or office 2007 either and this is the reason they give:

wish buy Windows VISTA and Office 2007. Why you do not have these softwares?
    Windows Vista and Office 2007 have many defects. We do not wish to sell to our clients the unfinished softwares. We sell only full working versions. So we can sell it only 3-6 month letter.

Seems a strange way of doing business. Especially in the US, where the laws are so strict on selling software legally.

Also look at the price for Auto CAD 2007... AutoCAD 2007
    Retail Price: $3999.95
    Our Price: $149.95
    You Save: $3850

You save $3, 850???? Now THAT kinda seems absurd! Like I said, I know you can get OEM cheaper than retail...but I doubt if you can legally get it THAT much cheaper.
    Last edited by webe3; 02-20-2007 at 04:47 AM.
    Here are my specs:
    System Specs: ATX generic case with Antec 550 watt power supply. ASUS A7N8X Deluxe Motherboard. Western Digital 7,200 RPM 40 gig IDE Hard Drive.(NTFS- file system) AMD Athlon XP 2600 processor.(standard fan and heatsink-Thoroughbred Core-standard speed-NO OVERCLOCK) 1 gig of Samsung DDRAM(PC 2700- 333 mhz....2-512mb sticks running in dual channel mode).Ati Radeon 8x 9600 XT (8x is enabled on motherboard). Soundblaster Audigy 2 sound card. Motorola sb 5100 cable modem (Insight Communications-Cable Connection) BenQ 16x DVD- RECORDER.(records -R/-RW or +R/+RW and CD-R formats) LG 52x32x52 CD Burner. Zip 100 internal drive and a generic 3.5 floppy drive. Windows XP Professional Operating System. I also have a HP Deskjet 3520 inkjet printer and a KDS X Flat 17 inch CRT monitor.

Default Re: Does this site seem "fishy"to you??

I won't even bother going to the site... if you are being offered retail software at a small fraction of retail, you are being offered either pirated or stolen software.

Remember... if something sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Quote Originally Posted by Darthtanion View Post
    I won't even bother going to the site... if you are being offered retail software at a small fraction of retail, you are being offered either pirated or stolen software.

Remember... if something sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
    That is what I figured.
    Here are my specs:
    System Specs: ATX generic case with Antec 550 watt power supply. ASUS A7N8X Deluxe Motherboard. Western Digital 7,200 RPM 40 gig IDE Hard Drive.(NTFS- file system) AMD Athlon XP 2600 processor.(standard fan and heatsink-Thoroughbred Core-standard speed-NO OVERCLOCK) 1 gig of Samsung DDRAM(PC 2700- 333 mhz....2-512mb sticks running in dual channel mode).Ati Radeon 8x 9600 XT (8x is enabled on motherboard). Soundblaster Audigy 2 sound card. Motorola sb 5100 cable modem (Insight Communications-Cable Connection) BenQ 16x DVD- RECORDER.(records -R/-RW or +R/+RW and CD-R formats) LG 52x32x52 CD Burner. Zip 100 internal drive and a generic 3.5 floppy drive. Windows XP Professional Operating System. I also have a HP Deskjet 3520 inkjet printer and a KDS X Flat 17 inch CRT monitor.

Quote Originally Posted by Darthtanion View Post
    if something sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
    If it sounds too good to be true and it is on the internet it DEFINITELY is pirated........
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Oh by the way... in my line of work they call this a clue!
    Attached Images Attached Images Does this site seem "fishy"to you??-softrt-jpg 
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

lol nice one, darthtanion
    Case: Antec P180 ** PSU: Ultra-V 600W
    Main: EVGA 680i 122-CK-NF68**
    CPU: E6700 2.66GHz
    CPU cooling: Arctic Freezer 7 Pro ** RAM: 2GB Corsair XMS2
    GPU: BFG GTX 295..** Samsung 206bw LCD

Thread Information