Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you think of Norton?

Default Re: What do you think of Norton?

ummmm ......how would you know if you only had two viruses if you have no antivirus program? If everyone went without an antivirus program then most would not be aware of their infected system untill it slowed down considerabley ..... of course that would be long after they had infected most of their friends. I'm of the opinion that antivirus programs are not optional for responcible netizens.
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

industry tests prove that the top 10 antivirus software products all pick up 99.99 % of virus's.

The major difference between them is the interface - we use symantec antivirus(made by norton) at work mainly because of its management software (remote installs central logging etc)

At home I use AVG or Avast.

Norton system works is just about the worst possible to use - major resource hog

I have a friend who believed he didn't have virus's on his computer (an IT professional) so he didn't have antivirus either - claimed he hadn't had a virus for ages. I decided to actually check - we found about 130 different types of viruses - he now runs antivirus.

I'd be very surprised to find a computer connected to the net without antivirus actually being virus free. (with the right patches & a really good firewall - well maintained, and not being used to do anything - it might be possible)

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDawg View Post
    ummmm ......how would you know if you only had two viruses if you have no antivirus program? If everyone went without an antivirus program then most would not be aware of their infected system untill it slowed down considerabley ..... of course that would be long after they had infected most of their friends. I'm of the opinion that antivirus programs are not optional for responcible netizens.

Good point, but I do tend to do a virus scan near the end of my OS's life and occasionally in between. In my opinion having an antivirus program running in the background is like having one or more of those virus's you say (slow a system down considerably). Maybe the newest CPU's can handle the job better. At this moment I'm using a P4 system and noway could I live with the likes of Norton on this baby! The cure is worse than a possible future disease for something I will most likely never get before this 3 year old machine with the original OS install retires next month virus free as well as anti virus free.
    Last edited by Spongebob; 02-13-2008 at 07:26 AM.

I have Norton 360 07 version and Spyware Doctor. I would have to say Spyware Doctor seems to remove alot more virus and such from my computer. But then agian they mite be used for different reasons also. Why not have both? Norton $50 (I think) and Spyware $20

Don't go with Norton, go with AVG it is best and free.

You didnt say FREE.
    Thanks!!!!!
    Yeah i didnt think Norton was worth my money.
    A link would help for my lazy ***?
    Last edited by Lorder05; 02-22-2008 at 11:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorder05 View Post
    You didnt say FREE.
    Thanks!!!!!
    Yeah i didnt think Norton was worth my money.
    A link would help for my lazy ***?

Google it!!!!! Google it!!!!!!!!!!!! But anyway here it is for your convenience if you really think you need it.......

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/download...virus/us/frt/0

Thumbs up Re: What do you think of Norton?

its junk in my mind i fix all my problums with the free wear from this page free stuf i got viris and spywear and it did not fix all problums i got a loptop with mad virises and spywear and its new and it says that it need to be upgraded and it got a red x on the icon i upgrade it and it still dont fix im about to uninstall it suld i and put the free avg one on .thanks god blesss======FIX unistall

thanks Roy-Kr
    Last edited by 1967kID; 10-18-2008 at 12:09 AM. Reason: fix it

Antivirus/antispyware software is completely unnecessary in my opinion.
    They just run in the background, slowing down your computer.

I once tried doing a full scan on my computer after 4 years of running with absolutely no anti-anything installed. I ran severeal fully updated anti-virus softwares (AVG being one of them), and none of them found anything other than cookies.

Anti-virus basically just protects you against yourself, at the cost of slowing down everything, annoying you with unnecessary messages, or even blocking your other applications.

What i'm saying is that a person who knows what he's doing probably won't find anti-virus software to be very helpful.
    Last edited by Roy-Kr; 10-17-2008 at 05:42 AM.

I agree with sponge bob and roy-kr.

*points to signature*

Even though I agree with them I still have AVG internet Security installed. Why? Because when your friend comes over with his infected flash drive and just starts stabbing at your usb ports, it gets serious. Sure, you can hold the shift button to disable the autorun, but sometimes that slips your mind.

My anti virus is strictly to protect from those usb flash drive viruses going around. Nothing more, nothing less. =)

LOL@ the "N" word.
    Nothing is impossible... Just mathematically improbable..

"The best defense against computer viruses might not even be antivirus software, but a crafty combination of education and common sense."

Intel Pentium e5200 @ 3.8HZ (380 X 10)
    Giga-byte GA-EP35-DS3L
    Mushkin 4GB DDR2 800 @ 760MHZ 4-4-3-10 @ +0.3v
    SAPPHIRE 100245L Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16
    Seagate 160GB @ 7200rpm
    SB Audigy2
    Corsair 520HX
    Super Antec Lanboy
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit RTM
    Acer AL2216Wbd 22"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information