Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Freeware Alternative

don't know what I'd do without openoffice.ord, mozilla, diskeeper lite, spybot S&D, AVG Anti-Virus, Zone Alarm, GiMP, winamp....

I'm a huge fan of freeware and open source products

for those of us poor college students, it is a real life saver

oh, and I left out the best open source product of all: LINUX!

I would like to know why the_tweaker has such a resentment towards freeware and if his bitterness extends to all of the open-source community....in which many of the products are considered freeware

the only freeware I'm opposed to is the dirty kind that has ad/spyare in with it...

here is a great spot for opensource software: http://sourceforge.net/
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

there is a difference between freeware, and crapware.
    There are plenty of free programs out there, but plenty of them have lots of bugz (not that MS doesnt have any! hehe) but maybe thats why tweaker is so negative on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by kane2g
    there is a difference between freeware, and crapware.
    I couldn't agree more
    Careful study is a necessity before installing any app, free or otherwise. Seems to be more landmines all the time but there are plenty of gems out there in the freeware category if you take the time to research.

all those little utilities I use from day to day are freeware
    Nosferatu hit the nail on the head, no bloat and an intuitive interface is a big plus - most of the apps I have made help files pointless, it's all spelled out in the interface.

And, if the app fits on a floppy it gets triple points in my scorecard

Why choose to pay for an app?
    the upgrade cycle for software can be as fast and furious as vid cards and CPU's
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Hey Mr. C,

What would it take to get you to post a list of your top 100 favorite (500 if you want) shareware/freeware software titles. No descriptions or URL's or anything necessary. Just a list would do me, and I'll track down the ones I want.

Heck, a screenshot of your freeware folder/folders would do. :thumb:
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

Welcome back Mr C. :D
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggo
    Maybe he had a bad night at work and missed his medication. :shrug:
    Hey now, don't be so harsh on me.. :no:

I do use some freeware:

Winamp (who can live without it)
    Icq (even been running trillian for awhile)
    Daemon (awesome)

Just to mention some.. I'm just a bit picky of what is allowed to enter my precious harddrives.. :laugh:

No but seriously, get me a freeware that can replace Photoshop 7.0 or Dreamweaver MX for example and then we talk.. :devil win

When you want something for free, the truth is that in almost 100% of the cases you have to sacrify something. The saying "you get what you pay for" is a good rule..

Augie10 thx I'm always trying to be fair.. I'm always trying to create an opinion about things before I judge.. :cheers:

I have NEVER told anyone not to dl and run this or that, I'm just pointing out what's alowed here and not.. ;)

To say it the "freaky" way, my computers are

C.L.E.A.N

:shrug:

Beefy Guest

Define clean.

Quote Originally Posted by The__tweaker
    No but seriously, get me a freeware that can replace Photoshop 7.0 ...
    ever heard of GIMP?

there's a good replacement for photoshop:
    http://www.gimp.org/
    photoshop is a bit more polished, but as for what they can do...they're pretty much the same

as for dreamweaver, I havn't found a good open source replacement, but I havn't been looking either....I'm sure there is one, it just has to be found
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

ever heard of GIMP?
    Hehe, sounds like the beginning of a flamewar to me, but what do I know. But back to the subject, from what I understand, even though Gimp does a fine job with photo editing, it does not have the ability to replace Photoshop, at least for professional users. Matter of fact here is a little blurb from the gimp.org/win32 website regarding this:

Warnings

The program(s) might crash unexpectedly or behave otherwise strangely. (But of course, so do many commercial programs on Windows.) The stability seems to depend a lot on the machine, display drivers, other software installed, and whatnot. Presumably the more memory you have, the better GIMP works. (For any real image work, I would say 128 megabytes is minimum.) Many people do find GIMP very useful. But it is not a Photoshop killer (for real Photoshop users, that is), Photoshop has lots of features that the GIMP lacks.

Anyhow, I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade or anything of the sort, but rather just sharing an opinion.

Peace!
    LogixRat
    P-)
    Dimension 4550 | Intel 845PE Chipset | P4 2.53ghz, 533 FSB | 256mb PC2700 DDR RAM | WD 60gb 7200rpm (2mb cache) | IBM 60gb 7200rpm (2mb cache) | nVIDIA Geforce4 MX 420 (64mb) | Soundblaster Live! | WinXP Pro SP2

Inspiron 9300 | Pentium M 740 | P4-M 1.73ghz, 533 FSB | 512 MB DDR2 SDRAM 533MHz (2 DIMM) | 60 GB 5400rpm | 64MB ATI Mobility Radeon X300 | Integrated Audio | 17" Wide Screen XGA+ Screen | WinXP Pro SP2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information