Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Alternative to Outlook Express!?

Hi all, I'm looking for a good alternative to Outlook Express. I've never been a big fan of M$ products anyhow, and with all the spam I find my ways to block the messages limited with Express. Can you please recommend some alternative solutions?

Just to give you a quick rundown of my particular scenario, I run about 7 different POP accounts that I need to access. I like to check them every 2-3 minutes, I never write HTML based email and have no desire to receive HTML email and I can't stand advertisement based programs (like EudoraLite used to be). I've tried the internal mail program with Mozilla, but didn't find it to my liking as I had 7 different accounts and consequently 7 different inboxes, etc.

Yeah, I know, not picky or anything huh? If such a program doesn't exist perhaps someone can inform me how to tweak Express to generate "failed delivery" messages to senders I feel are spammers.

Anyhow, your help is greatly appreciated.

Many thanks!
    LogixRat
    P-)
    Dimension 4550 | Intel 845PE Chipset | P4 2.53ghz, 533 FSB | 256mb PC2700 DDR RAM | WD 60gb 7200rpm (2mb cache) | IBM 60gb 7200rpm (2mb cache) | nVIDIA Geforce4 MX 420 (64mb) | Soundblaster Live! | WinXP Pro SP2

Inspiron 9300 | Pentium M 740 | P4-M 1.73ghz, 533 FSB | 512 MB DDR2 SDRAM 533MHz (2 DIMM) | 60 GB 5400rpm | 64MB ATI Mobility Radeon X300 | Integrated Audio | 17" Wide Screen XGA+ Screen | WinXP Pro SP2

HERE is a list of open source email clients

i havn't tried many of them, but you may find something to your liking
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

I've always like Pagasus Mail. but I'm not certain it will do everything you want.

http://www.pmail.com/

minibubba: Thanks for the list. :thumb: I see there are quite a few alternatives. Any that you have used, or are currently using, and that you recommend?

DigitalDD: Thanks for the link to Pegasus. :thumb: I will d/l that proggie tonight and give it a whirl. Hopefully it will meet my needs and have a good "comfortable feel" to it.

Again, many thanks to both of you. And I look forward to any other suggestions or comments regarding the subject.

Take care,
    LogixRat
    P-)
    Dimension 4550 | Intel 845PE Chipset | P4 2.53ghz, 533 FSB | 256mb PC2700 DDR RAM | WD 60gb 7200rpm (2mb cache) | IBM 60gb 7200rpm (2mb cache) | nVIDIA Geforce4 MX 420 (64mb) | Soundblaster Live! | WinXP Pro SP2

Inspiron 9300 | Pentium M 740 | P4-M 1.73ghz, 533 FSB | 512 MB DDR2 SDRAM 533MHz (2 DIMM) | 60 GB 5400rpm | 64MB ATI Mobility Radeon X300 | Integrated Audio | 17" Wide Screen XGA+ Screen | WinXP Pro SP2

Quote Originally Posted by logixrat
    minibubba: Thanks for the list. :thumb: I see there are quite a few alternatives. Any that you have used, or are currently using, and that you recommend?
    unforuntaly, I'm still using OE...my quest for a better email client ended when I realised that hotmail is proprietary and will only work with OE and Outlook or via a web browser

I know I should dump hotmail, but I've been using these accounts too long to switch overnight

while we're on the subject, can anyone recomend a good free email service? preferably with pop3 support...I really am tring to get away from hotmail...

Arrr mate, sorry to hear you are still stuck on OE too. In regards to your quest for a new webmail provider with POP support, I have 2 that I can recommend:

MyRealBox

SpyMac Mail

I have been using both of these for quite sometime with good success. Like any free email provider, there are downtimes for server upgrades, etc. but they have been minimal. Of course, when it comes to email, it seems a 15 minute downtime is too long when you are looking for that special email from so and so.

Anyhow, check them out and see what you think. The thing I liked about them is they both provide web access and POP access through traditional email clients. Also, they have larger storage limits than your typical Hotmail, Yahoo, etc. accounts. Plus because they aren't such common domain names, the spam is minimal.

Of course, by far the most reliable and dependable email accounts I have are those that I created through my ISP. I have cable access, and am allowed up to 7 email accounts, which works out great for me. Of course, I never give out the "real" account name that I can't change, but I have created other usernames for different purposes. And with my provider I get large storage, POP access and web access.

Just a few thoughts!

Good luck!
    LogixRat
    P-)

thanks, I'll check those out soon

I would get an account through my ISP, but I move arround a lot and thus switch ISPs equally often...so instead of switching my email address everytime, I stick with webmail...one (3 actaully) constant email address

started using hotmail when I was too young and inexperienced to know anybetter

EDIT: looks like the Novell/MyRealBox is a winner...had to borow a non-webmail addy to get it,oh well
    now I can begin my quest for a better email client...again...guess I'll be looking though the list I posted some more =)
    if you find a particularly good client send it my way :cheers:

Quote Originally Posted by minibubba
    unforuntaly, I'm still using OE...my quest for a better email client ended when I realised that hotmail is proprietary and will only work with OE and Outlook or via a web browser

I know I should dump hotmail, but I've been using these accounts too long to switch overnight
    that depends if you run your own mail server you can get your hotmail/yahoomail web email via the server then connect to your web server to get the actually messages. with a mailserver of your own you even get greater control of spam filtering..

9. Default

You could always try despammed.com that's what I use to register for anything and not get spammed and its web based which forwards to another address or just use that one.

Solution to ur email forwarding problems is easy
    Buy a domain.
    Only a few bucks a year and you get to use ur own name or whatever u like.

Go to www.mydomain.com
    I think they are $8.50US a year for a .com domain at the moment.
    Go Daddy is slightly cheaper but i use the free services at mydomain too so i pay htem the extra 50cents

They provide free URL forwarding & free email forwarding
    So then you:
    1/ create your own website (if u want) - use a free site host or the space provided by ur ISP and have the traffic forwarded to that address.
    2/ Forward ur mail to where ever u like. So u give out
    ???@???.com as ur address and have that forwarded to Hotmail, Real box, ur ISP or whatever. If u chage email addresses u change where it gets forwarded to. The same address for life. You can have multiple addresses at your domain forwarded to different real adrresses too
    So no matter who hosts your real email you can stick with the same address/es forever - all for Less than $10US a year.

Very cool. I dont know why everyone doesnt do it. Check out the details at mydomain.com to see how it's done.
    (I am not associated with them - just like there Free services)
    Splash

:afro:
    OK so my signature is lame - I can live with it!

Thread Information