Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: How to Manipulate Office Toolbars!?

Being el cheapo :D I have not taken the liberty to lay down my hard earned cash for MS Office XP. And although I am sure there are ways around the activation code for OfficeXP I do not desire to pirate the program. Instead I would like to use either CorelOffice that came with my computer, or the ever popular OpenOffice program that I have already downloaded for free.

The problem with both products, or me depending on the view, is that I use MS Office at work and am used to the "flow" of the default menus and toolbars. So obviously when I fire up either alternate product the menus and toolbars are awkward to say the least. Most the time I find myself taking 15-20 minutes to do what would normally be a 5 minute task in Office. :yuc: And I realize with time and an open mind, I will become accustomed to the other products like I have to Office; however, to be honest I don't really want to do it that way, especially since others also use my computer that are "Office programmed" as well. :devil win

Anyhow, my question is this: Is there a way to export Office toolbars/menus into CorelOffice or OpenOffice? If so, could you be so kind as to share the trick? I have done some Google searches, but so far have not found exactly what I need. I'm sure this need is based largely on the fact I am being whiney and demanding ( :tears: ), but nonetheless I would still greatly appreciate your help.

Many thanks!!
    LogixRat
    P-)
    Dimension 4550 | Intel 845PE Chipset | P4 2.53ghz, 533 FSB | 256mb PC2700 DDR RAM | WD 60gb 7200rpm (2mb cache) | IBM 60gb 7200rpm (2mb cache) | nVIDIA Geforce4 MX 420 (64mb) | Soundblaster Live! | WinXP Pro SP2

Inspiron 9300 | Pentium M 740 | P4-M 1.73ghz, 533 FSB | 512 MB DDR2 SDRAM 533MHz (2 DIMM) | 60 GB 5400rpm | 64MB ATI Mobility Radeon X300 | Integrated Audio | 17" Wide Screen XGA+ Screen | WinXP Pro SP2

i don't know about exporting the menus, but I do know that once i got used to the layout of openoffice (which didn't take very long) I greatly prefered it to M$ office's layout...so maybe you should give it more time before you try something drastic, besides i really doubt you can port the menus/toolbars from one suite to another
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

Yeah, I know, I should be more open minded with the subject. It's just that I use Office at work all day, and then spend only an hour or two on Corel or Open at the house. You can see how the time isn't equal so it makes getting used to alternate menus frustrating. I'm not saying I couldn't rise above the situation and learn another program, because I know I can...but to be honest I just don't want to.

Of course, desire sometimes comes with restrictions on the wallet. If I am forced to pay $$ for the "Office feel" then undoubtedly I will just deal with it and reconfigure all the menus and toolbars (already started on the toolbars). I was just hoping for an easy solution, and I know that with other programs like AutoCAD, you can export out your custom toolbars and use on other machines. It only seems logical that Office would also allow you to do this.

Anyhow, here's to hoping for a better solution.

Cheers,
    LogixRat
    :cheers:
    Dimension 4550 | Intel 845PE Chipset | P4 2.53ghz, 533 FSB | 256mb PC2700 DDR RAM | WD 60gb 7200rpm (2mb cache) | IBM 60gb 7200rpm (2mb cache) | nVIDIA Geforce4 MX 420 (64mb) | Soundblaster Live! | WinXP Pro SP2

Inspiron 9300 | Pentium M 740 | P4-M 1.73ghz, 533 FSB | 512 MB DDR2 SDRAM 533MHz (2 DIMM) | 60 GB 5400rpm | 64MB ATI Mobility Radeon X300 | Integrated Audio | 17" Wide Screen XGA+ Screen | WinXP Pro SP2

I just thought I might mention that I was cruising around in the Corel Office stuff last night and came across a few interesting options. When you go to edit the toolbars in WP, if you click on the tab labeled "Menus" you can select MS Word. I did so and it appears to have overcome the feat I was trying to do by importing. I haven't had a chance to thoroughly check every command, but most the major ones I used were placed where they are at work. Yay!! :D :D :D

Also, there is a place within Quatro Pro that will allow you to switch over to MS Excel menus. It wasn't in the exact same spot, and I'm not in front of the machine with Corel at this time and point, but I will navigate there later tonight and share so others may benefit from this finding as well.

Anyhow, sounds like this may have solved my problem. Like I said earlier, I don't know if it is 100% identical to OfficeXP menu's but I think it is close enough that I can make a few mods and be totally happy.

Peace out!
    LogixRat
    :thumb:

The main thing is to make time to get to know (explore) and adjust (or make adjustments) to the new software then ya'd wonder why ya asked the question in the first place but ya must make the effort.

I agree Wiggo. And I have done my fair share of adjusting and what not in the past on previous OS' and proggies. Just for some reason, I didn't feel the desire to adjust this time. Maybe I need a break or something.

I know when I got my first Mac a few years back, everything seemed all out of whack since I had been using PC's exclusively to that point, but like you noted I put in the 'wrench time' and about 6 months later there wasn't much I couldn't do with the OS. It was a good learning experience as I am now fluent in the Mac and Win environment. And I've been messing with Linux over the last year or so (on and off) but I'm still 'learning the language'. Once I do get it mastered I'm sure I can benefit from taking the time to learn OpenOffice as well.

Anyhow, I appreciate the patience you and all the others on this board have had with me.

Take care,
    LogixRat
    P-)

Thread Information