Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Sent a huge file now Outlook express is screwed

I tried sending a huge file by Outlook Express (about 700mb), the send process stalled before the file\message was sent so I canceled it and now the message sits in my out box. Everytime Outlook express is opened it will slow down to a crawl becuase I beleive it automatically tries to resend the file. I unfortunatly cannot access the outbox to delete the message becuase this sending process hangs Outlook Express when I try to access the outbox. I don't know much about outlook express becuase I rarely use it but my wife aways uses it so this screws up her mailing. Is there a way to fix this?

System= Win XP Pro, p4 2.4 ghz, 1024 Ram, Ati 9500 Pro video.

Hehe, well first of all I hope you have learned email is not really the way to transfer files this large. As a rule of thumb, I really think about 2-3mb is about the max file size to transmit with email. But occassionally if I know for sure that somone has a large mailbox capacity I might send a 5-10mb file. The reason being is that most people only have 2-5mb of storage capacity with their email accounts. Some might have up to 20mb if they are lucky. Of course, there are a few elites with much larger but it would be uncommon to see an account with a 700mb limit.

Okay, that being said, let's hope that you have high speed internet as transferring 700mb of data on a dial up would be painful to say the least. Shut down your computer, unplug your ethernet cable or USB cable (depending how your DSL/cable modem hooks into your computer) and then reboot. Now go into Outlook like normal. Of course it'll try to fire up and then realize there is no net connections, so you'll get alot of screens saying this. Ignore them and keep going. Once you can regain access to your mailbox, delete the problem file. Then shutdown, reconnect your internet cable and boot back up. Things should work again.

And just FYI, in the future you may look into a program such as ICQ or Trillian that will allow you to transfer files to your friends. It is a much better way than email. Or even if you can setup a website to host files that would be better and less hassle.

Anyhow, hope it helps.

Take care,
    LogixRat
    P-)
    Dimension 4550 | Intel 845PE Chipset | P4 2.53ghz, 533 FSB | 256mb PC2700 DDR RAM | WD 60gb 7200rpm (2mb cache) | IBM 60gb 7200rpm (2mb cache) | nVIDIA Geforce4 MX 420 (64mb) | Soundblaster Live! | WinXP Pro SP2

Inspiron 9300 | Pentium M 740 | P4-M 1.73ghz, 533 FSB | 512 MB DDR2 SDRAM 533MHz (2 DIMM) | 60 GB 5400rpm | 64MB ATI Mobility Radeon X300 | Integrated Audio | 17" Wide Screen XGA+ Screen | WinXP Pro SP2

Quote Originally Posted by logixrat
    Hehe, well first of all I hope you have learned email is not really the way to transfer files this large. As a rule of thumb, I really think about 2-3mb is about the max file size to transmit with email. But occassionally if I know for sure that somone has a large mailbox capacity I might send a 5-10mb file. The reason being is that most people only have 2-5mb of storage capacity with their email accounts. Some might have up to 20mb if they are lucky. Of course, there are a few elites with much larger but it would be uncommon to see an account with a 700mb limit.

Okay, that being said, let's hope that you have high speed internet as transferring 700mb of data on a dial up would be painful to say the least. Shut down your computer, unplug your ethernet cable or USB cable (depending how your DSL/cable modem hooks into your computer) and then reboot. Now go into Outlook like normal. Of course it'll try to fire up and then realize there is no net connections, so you'll get alot of screens saying this. Ignore them and keep going. Once you can regain access to your mailbox, delete the problem file. Then shutdown, reconnect your internet cable and boot back up. Things should work again.

And just FYI, in the future you may look into a program such as ICQ or Trillian that will allow you to transfer files to your friends. It is a much better way than email. Or even if you can setup a website to host files that would be better and less hassle.

Anyhow, hope it helps.

Take care,
    LogixRat
    P-)

And I should have known better:shrug: .

Thread Information