Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pictures not displayed/shown

Hi, I am a small problem with displaying photos etc. I keep getting a little square with a red x in it instead of the picture. Although when I move my mouse over it it then opens up the pic. A friend said it is something to do with plug-ins ? I actually found the problem arose when I went into this post page, the icons for emocions are not shown and are just red x's.

Thanks again, Dave (Luckydog)

In Internet Explorer (this is why the thread was moved to Applications) go to Tools/Internet Options and then under the Advanced tab scroll down to Multimedia and tick Show Pictures.

Hi, Thanks for prompt reply but I have tried this and still no luck, even the emocions (on the left of this page) are all shown as red x's .... any other suggestions would be much appreciated.

Are you protected behind a firewall by any chance, and if so what is it called..:?:

i just hope it is not "NIS or NIF" at work again : omg:
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Shouldn't be. I use NIS and have no problems at all viewing pictures. It is going to be a setting somewhere.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Quote Originally Posted by Darthtanion
    Shouldn't be. I use NIS and have no problems at all viewing pictures. It is going to be a setting somewhere.
    yes, it is a setting...but i was referring to NIS cos its been known to cause such problems...not because of its nature but because of users not being able to configure it properly.

you can read more about it in this MS KB Article :cheers:
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Gott'a hand it to you guys.
    On top of things as always :)

When I saw this thread, Norton leapt to mind.

anxiously awaiting to see if that, once again, is the culprit
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Maybe I'm missing something here...

I've been using NIS for several years now (due to having broadband) and have never had any issues with it. During the installation of the software, you're taken through a series of setup screen to get everything working properly, and to be honest, they are all no-brainers. Every one of them. Do folks really have such a hard time configuring NIS?
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

No Darthtanion, I would definitely say that you have it well under control.

Fact is, this is not the first thread of this exact nature.
    Although, in this particular instance, we have yet to discover if Norton is a factor. In the other threads it most certainly was.

It being a factor is supported by the MSKB article, help pages at the Norton site and of course the "real-world" experience of those posting the questions in this forum.

As to the exact cause of the problem, I am not sure.
    Seems that all who have posted this problem previously were viewing images just fine for a period of time --- then suddenly, it stopped working.

That certainly leaves some questions, doesn't it:?:

An update to the Norton software, or to IE perhaps?
    Some conflict in other software somehow causing this strange behaviour?

No one to date has reported any specific series of events that could be pointed to as a cause, just that IE quit displaying images for some unknown reason.

The good news is, using the updated uninstaller from Norton then reinstalling has so far been 100% successful in fixing the issue.

I'm not a software engineer - therefore, I won't point a finger and accuse any particular part of the whole as being "culprit".
    I'm only basing my assumption as to what may be the cause - and thereby leading to a hopefully proper response to get the issue resolved. My assumption may well be wrong as it is based wholly on past experience.
    And in the past -- it was Norton misbehaving (for whatever reason) :shrug:

I'm sure this doesn't happen to a majority of Norton users -- but it happens to enough of them for both Microsoft & Norton to provide pages regarding resolving the issue for those unfortunate enough to experience it.

If it proves to be so again, it won't be much challenge to any of us - but at least the issue can again be resolved.

at this time I am still waiting to see if my assumption is correct or not about Norton being somehow involved, yet again
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information