Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 53

Thread: New Windows Media Player 9 Build 3054




  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    323

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by asklepios
    ah well...i guess u r right. silly me
    but that DRM can be switched off...try to go into option...its there :)

    Sorry! I thought you knew what DRM was and was just kidding around with me! Yes, it is Digital Rights Management by Microsoft. I don't like it because it limits the files you play on media player to only ones approved by the DRM media that microsoft says is ALLOWED to play in that player! For example, if you have an .avi file and it is not approved by the DRM, then it simply WON'T PLAY! This does nothing but make me angry!
    Here are my specs:
    System Specs: ATX generic case with Antec 550 watt power supply. ASUS A7N8X Deluxe Motherboard. Western Digital 7,200 RPM 40 gig IDE Hard Drive.(NTFS- file system) AMD Athlon XP 2600 processor.(standard fan and heatsink-Thoroughbred Core-standard speed-NO OVERCLOCK) 1 gig of Samsung DDRAM(PC 2700- 333 mhz....2-512mb sticks running in dual channel mode).Ati Radeon 8x 9600 XT (8x is enabled on motherboard). Soundblaster Audigy 2 sound card. Motorola sb 5100 cable modem (Insight Communications-Cable Connection) BenQ 16x DVD- RECORDER.(records -R/-RW or +R/+RW and CD-R formats) LG 52x32x52 CD Burner. Zip 100 internal drive and a generic 3.5 floppy drive. Windows XP Professional Operating System. I also have a HP Deskjet 3520 inkjet printer and a KDS X Flat 17 inch CRT monitor.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Canberra, Australia
    Posts
    1,158

    Default

    Once again myth exceeds fact. DRM can be completely switched off in WMP9, at least for the purposes of allowing you to play any file you want. I've been using WMP9 since it came out and never once has it refused to play a file of any type, nor has it given me any warnings about copyright etc.

    Go through all of the options carefully and switch off all that garbage, then use something like Adaware to remove the relevant WMP9 registry key and the player works perfectly without DRM.

    It is one of the best players out there right now, just that most kids think it's not 1337 to use an "M$" product. I love the way you can shrink it down to the taskbar..easy access and minimal memory usage:

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    323

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PersianImmortal
    Once again myth exceeds fact. DRM can be completely switched off in WMP9, at least for the purposes of allowing you to play any file you want. I've been using WMP9 since it came out and never once has it refused to play a file of any type, nor has it given me any warnings about copyright etc.

    Go through all of the options carefully and switch off all that garbage, then use something like Adaware to remove the relevant WMP9 registry key and the player works perfectly without DRM.

    It is one of the best players out there right now, just that most kids think it's not 1337 to use an "M$" product. I love the way you can shrink it down to the taskbar..easy access and minimal memory usage:


    LOOK AT WHAT YOU JUST TOLD ME! Myth does NOT exceed fact in the sense that you have to take steps to disable the DRM! First, you said go through all the options carefully, because they are obviously SWITCHED ON! Next, you said to use adaware to remove the revelant WMP9 registry key!! That is a lot of junk to go through just to get a stupid player to work!! MY point is that it is stupid to have to go through all those steps in the first place just to make the player work with any media type that microsoft doesn't approve of! A lot of other media players out there will play anything and don't require you to take so many drastic measures just to get it to play a simple .avi file for example! That is bull! I will look elsewhere but thanks anyway. (PS by the way....I don't think that this "optional" thing of disabling DRM will be around for long....wait until longhorn gets here......but enjoy it while you can!)
    Here are my specs:
    System Specs: ATX generic case with Antec 550 watt power supply. ASUS A7N8X Deluxe Motherboard. Western Digital 7,200 RPM 40 gig IDE Hard Drive.(NTFS- file system) AMD Athlon XP 2600 processor.(standard fan and heatsink-Thoroughbred Core-standard speed-NO OVERCLOCK) 1 gig of Samsung DDRAM(PC 2700- 333 mhz....2-512mb sticks running in dual channel mode).Ati Radeon 8x 9600 XT (8x is enabled on motherboard). Soundblaster Audigy 2 sound card. Motorola sb 5100 cable modem (Insight Communications-Cable Connection) BenQ 16x DVD- RECORDER.(records -R/-RW or +R/+RW and CD-R formats) LG 52x32x52 CD Burner. Zip 100 internal drive and a generic 3.5 floppy drive. Windows XP Professional Operating System. I also have a HP Deskjet 3520 inkjet printer and a KDS X Flat 17 inch CRT monitor.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    caves of bedrock
    Posts
    3,129

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by webe3
    ....wait until longhorn gets here......
    yeah then MS will have control over our computers...they will have list of what files we have on our PC...they will control what we have on our PC and what we do with it...we will have no privacy and there will loads of **** in it.
    i heard all that when XP was under developement :rolleyes:
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH


    If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    icq : 203189004
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    968

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by asklepios
    yeah then MS will have control over our computers...they will have list of what files we have on our PC...they will control what we have on our PC and what we do with it...we will have no privacy and there will loads of **** in it.
    :eek: Will they steal our pr0n?:cry:
    <img src="http://www.statgfx.com/statgfx/folding/?&username=Wordbiker&border=0,255,0&tr ans=yes&template=fah_original&.jpg" alt="www.Statgfx.com" />
    Revenge is just a respawn away....Pagosa LAN Parties

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    caves of bedrock
    Posts
    3,129

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wordbiker
    :eek: Will they steal our pr0n?:cry:
    nah...they will just lock you out of your PC and keep it all for their self :laugh:
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH


    If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    icq : 203189004
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Canberra, Australia
    Posts
    1,158

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by webe3
    LOOK AT WHAT YOU JUST TOLD ME! Myth does NOT exceed fact in the sense that you have to take steps to disable the DRM! First, you said go through all the options carefully, because they are obviously SWITCHED ON! Next, you said to use adaware to remove the revelant WMP9 registry key!! That is a lot of junk to go through just to get a stupid player to work!! MY point is that it is stupid to have to go through all those steps in the first place just to make the player work with any media type that microsoft doesn't approve of! A lot of other media players out there will play anything and don't require you to take so many drastic measures just to get it to play a simple .avi file for example! That is bull! I will look elsewhere but thanks anyway. (PS by the way....I don't think that this "optional" thing of disabling DRM will be around for long....wait until longhorn gets here......but enjoy it while you can!)
    The whole procedure takes literally 1 minute. I mean that, around 60 seconds! As I said, WMP has some real advantages over other players, and since I have Winamp, Realplayer and Quicktime installed on my system yet I still use WMP9 the most, it must mean it is the best choice for me. I find it has the best audio quality, the best features and the most mature and professional look of the lot. If you feel that MS is coming to get you then please use another player.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    323

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by asklepios
    yeah then MS will have control over our computers...they will have list of what files we have on our PC...they will control what we have on our PC and what we do with it...we will have no privacy and there will loads of **** in it.
    i heard all that when XP was under developement :rolleyes:


    Well don't be too sure that is not what they are trying to do! If I sound like I don't trust microsoft...I DON'T! Sure,they tried in xp to put all sorts of controls that work for them into the operating system and they are trying EVEN HARDER this version.....what about the next and the next??? To me, it is a pattern I don't like! I believe it is called "invasion of privacy"???
    Here are my specs:
    System Specs: ATX generic case with Antec 550 watt power supply. ASUS A7N8X Deluxe Motherboard. Western Digital 7,200 RPM 40 gig IDE Hard Drive.(NTFS- file system) AMD Athlon XP 2600 processor.(standard fan and heatsink-Thoroughbred Core-standard speed-NO OVERCLOCK) 1 gig of Samsung DDRAM(PC 2700- 333 mhz....2-512mb sticks running in dual channel mode).Ati Radeon 8x 9600 XT (8x is enabled on motherboard). Soundblaster Audigy 2 sound card. Motorola sb 5100 cable modem (Insight Communications-Cable Connection) BenQ 16x DVD- RECORDER.(records -R/-RW or +R/+RW and CD-R formats) LG 52x32x52 CD Burner. Zip 100 internal drive and a generic 3.5 floppy drive. Windows XP Professional Operating System. I also have a HP Deskjet 3520 inkjet printer and a KDS X Flat 17 inch CRT monitor.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    268

    Default

    At this time M$ is trying hard to keep his monopol, thus reducing the compatibility of his products with other and forcing us to get new versions of their prog. At this time, when LINUX and FreeBSD is almost as user friendly as Windope, M$ fear to lose his popularity. I think its all about that
    SYX -=AMD Powered=-
    AMD 1800+ @ 1880Mhz on A7S333 , 250 Meg DDR 333 Platinum @2-2-2-6
    Asus TNT 2 32 meg (128) , 250W ATX, 200W AT (same case)
    Steel automotive intake fan (see avatar) , 3X40mm exaust fans in the back

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    caves of bedrock
    Posts
    3,129

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by webe3
    Well don't be too sure that is not what they are trying to do! If I sound like I don't trust microsoft...I DON'T! Sure,they tried in xp to put all sorts of controls that work for them into the operating system and they are trying EVEN HARDER this version.....what about the next and the next??? To me, it is a pattern I don't like! I believe it is called "invasion of privacy"???
    if you think "that" then you have got some serious problems to sort out. lets get some valid points out of you that PROVES that MS tried invading your privacy. just pointing your finger doesn't help mate :)

    Quote Originally Posted by syx
    At this time M$ is trying hard to keep his monopol, thus reducing the compatibility of his products with other and forcing us to get new versions of their prog.
    which program are you talking about anyways :confused: :?:
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH


    If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    icq : 203189004
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •