Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: M$ to block 3rd party clients after Oct 13 ?

I don't know if this is old news or not, but I saw this on the Gaim site and it was news to me:
    A lot of people have been asking about whether MS's latest decisions regarding MSN will affect us. Here's the general information on what they're doing.

MS has decided that everyone should upgrade to MSN version 5.0 or higher. MSN v5 is the first to use their MSN Protocol v8, which is the first to use SSL for login. Now, we know how to login over this. This is not hard, and we will be supporting MSNP9, the latest version of the protocol, soon.

However, upgrading to this does not guarantee us anything. Whereas previously, Microsoft has let third party clients connect, they now require a license for doing so. They still encourage clients to connect to their network, so with any luck, we can work something out. If not, people may find a way to connect anyway, but the legalities of this are pretty obvious. Key words: "Intellectual Property" and "DMCA."

We cannot give a yes or a no to the question, "Will Gaim continue to work after October 15th?" (Which, btw, is the day that third party clients not using MSNP8 or higher will be unable to connect). We will do our best, but if it comes down to it, we will drop MSN support. If you have a lot of friends on MSN, perhaps it's the time to migrate them. Get them to install Gaim ;) Then they can continue to talk to their MSN friends, but move to Jabber or another protocol.
    (http://gaim.sourceforge.net/msn.php)
    This was the first I've heard of this and I havn't seen any other documentation about it yet. I don't think it is really in M$'s best intrest to block 3rd party clients, but what do I know?

But what I do know, is that if it becomes less-than-legal to connect with 3rd party clients I'll drop windows messenger in a heart-beat rather than install M$'s software. Especially after reading this article: http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=11124
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

Beefy Guest

<a href="http://www.infoworld.com/article/03/08/19/HNmsnlockdown_1.html" target="_blank">This article</a> was reported on Slashdot. Seems like it's true.

AOL tried the same thing a while ago, to stop third party users from accessing their service, but Trillian had a patch out in days... What's to stop that happening again, really?

EDIT: Apparently the Trillian 2.0 Beta already uses the MSN 6.0 protocol.

I did a little more searching and found this page. I just find it interesting that all this is part of M$'s (un)Trustworthy Computing initiative.

Dont they realize they would loose a lot of customers on the linux side? Unless M$ is planning on making a verson for linux i think its a horrible idea. I could care less though since I've always been fine with messenger. I like the added functionality of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefy
    AOL tried the same thing a while ago, to stop third party users from accessing their service, but Trillian had a patch out in days... What's to stop that happening again, really?
    Actually Trillian was able to respond within hours. AOL made at least 5 different attempts (within about a two week period) and every time, Trillian had a patch out within the day. It was great for Trillian, because it got them SO much PR, and got EVERYONE talking about them. I had friends who donated alot of money to that site just for their successful fending off of AOL.

AOL eventually gave up. If Microsoft tries this, I doubt they will have any luck. From a programming perspective, the ONLY way it is possible would be to get everyone to upgrade their MSN Messenger client to a client specifically designed to block Trillian, but most likely, the Trillian programmers will find a way to mimic that as well. Lets face it, if a MSN client can connect to the server, Trillian can pretty easily mimic it.
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

Quote Originally Posted by Dyck15
    Dont they realize they would loose a lot of customers on the linux side? Unless M$ is planning on making a verson for linux i think its a horrible idea.
    i don't think they would release a client for linux and this thing really sucks.
    i have almost stopped connecting to internet from windows and if MS takes this step then i will surely move over to jabber.
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

a little more info:
    A SIDE EFFECT of Microsoft's determined push to get people to upgrade its new version of Messenger is that from October 15th "unlicensed clients" will get the heave-ho.

We say it's a side effect. But we wonder if it's a dose of "you probably weren't expecting this" software licence stuff.

(See Microsoft apparently spamming IM users and Microsoft's IM letter means you agree to pay and upgrade)

The Great Vole said that it's going to dump support for ancient forms of IM it's made and the reason it's giving is its Rustworthy Computing initiative.

According to W2K News, MSN Messenger 6.1 will beta test real soon now.

But, as the site points out, Microsoft is telling people that from October 15th it wants, needs, no demands a licence for third party messenging clients to connect to .NET. So where does that leave said clients? Queuing up to pay the Vole the modern equivalent of doubloons and pieces-of-eight, we'd suspect. (http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=11307)

btw, I've been getting this everytime I log on,...it's getting quite annoying

Beefy Guest

I get that with Trillian at the moment as well. Beats all the emails though.

10. Default

ya i get that on trillian as well and the block option doesnt stop em but simple enough to just shut it down.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information