Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ms word problem...

we are both computer newbs...

Just a dumb question, do you think it could be a Macro's virus?
    Have you run an Anti-virus check lately?

yeah it can be a macro virus...
    u didn't get that screen shot?
    here is how to do that...

1) open MS Word.
    2) press the key saying "Print Screen" at the top of your keyboard.
    3) open paint from accessories
    4) click on edit menu and chose "paste".
    5) save this image as .jpg file and attach it here.
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

could be a corrupted normal.dot template.

First CLOSE WORD.

Go to START. then SEARCH, then FOR FILES or FOLDERS

IF you see a search companion box on the left side click on the arrow that says All Files or Folders next to it.

type: normal.dot in the All or part of the filename box..

in the Look in box pull down the arrow until you see your C:\ drive.

Then click SEARCH and delete the file called normal.dot and try getting into word again.

If you are using Windows XP, normal.dot is a hidden system file and may not show when you search for it. If you can't find it, go into My Computer and click on the Tools menu and choose Folder Options. In there, click on the View Tab and put a check where it says "Show hidden files and folders" and UNCHECK "Hide extensions for known file types" and "Hide protected operating system files". Now, when you search for it, you should find it.

VER: OFFICE XP PRO

i ran nav 2003 with latest updates and mcafee virusscan also...

i do not have virus...

i have tried using 'detect and repair' from help tab of ms word and still doesn't work..

uninstall/reinstall doesnt work...i dont get it...so unfair..and i paid so much money for this software...:(

Sounds and looks to me like something is corrupt or changed in your TEMPLATE file that word opens everytime you open a new document. This is changeable and configureable for those people that do specific tasks and wish for word to open a specific way each time a new document is selected.

Your best bet at this point is to go looking through google forums or somewhere else for a Microsoft Office XP forum where those guys can help you out.
    A. I am sure it is an easy fix
    B. You just need to find that person that it is easy for them to help you fix it

Good luck,
    Chez

EDIT >>>> I just noticed that Digital DD has the same idea.
    I am sure that is where you problem lies. I also know Microsofts website has info on how to get to that file and fix it. As I have walked through a few people over it while I was a tech.

i have never seen those angle like things and thus i don't have any idea but you can do a very basic thing.
    open MS Word --> go to help menu and then click on "What's This?"
    your mouse pointer will have a "question mark" attached with it now.
    go to this angular image and click directly on it. if MS Word has any info about this thing, it will show you. remember that the mouse pointer will change back to normal after one click and if you click some place else, you will have to go to help menu again to get that question mark back. so try clicking directly on the image.

btw that normal.dot point is quite valid one...but wouldn't a re-install have solved the problem (which he already did)? :?:
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

asklepios,

i cannot 'point' to those angles because they are above the borders and i tried that question mark helper thing...doesnt tell me anything...

i use laptop and type my notes in lecture class and i concentrate all day about how to get rid of those damn angles instead of concentrating on lecture....but i will try the good advice and go to google...thx again...

none of other forums will let me post pictures ...

damn microsoft charges $35 per call....is it worth it? wil they know it for sure or my money back?

hmmmmmmmmm....

Askelopios,

If a RIP wouldn't do it, then it means that the file that is making this happen isn't taken out and replaced. Which I do not think a template file would be. It would stay behind for the viewer.
    I am just taking a guess at that.

Either way. Something is messed up. My guess is the template. And its a strong one, because I have helped fixed numerous issues by reinstalling the template file. Its association is with more than just Word.

Microsoft is a complicated beast. I have seen and heard some of the most unfathomable problems and FIXES that you would think have no association at all.
    With 50,000 plus techs working on one project, you are bound to get applications thats complexity is just amazing.

I have no doubt though it is an easy fix, for the PERSON that has fixed it before..........always seems to work that way. Its only EASY if you have done it before. To bad we all haven't!!! Then we would know it allllllllllllllllllll. lol

Good luck with that. I am sure you will find someone with the answer. Especially at an Office XP help forum.

Chez

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information