Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: M$ word queerness...

Ok, here's the scoop. My bro is heading off to college, we bought him a Dell Inspiron 5100 (mid-grade) laptop. 15" screen, P4 2.4GHz CPU, one 256MB module of DDR2100 RAM, Ati mobility Radeon 7500, Windows XP Pro. I was setting it up for him (he is far from computer literate) and found out something: there's only Word Perfect 11, the cheap *******s at M$ dont put on Microsoft Word unless your buy M$ Suite... :mad: . Anywho, I have an old Dell 333 with Microsoft Word 97 and this one has MS Word 2000. I bought the upgrade package from Staples ($80, ouch, but I need it fast as he's leaving this weekend), as the full version was $220 :wow: . My question is: can I use the MS Word 2000 CD from this comp and install it on his, and then upgrade, or does that make the copy on this one illegal? Or will there be no problems. I dont want to go fishing for MS Word 97 CD, but that comp doesnt even have the net, so I dont mind having it be illegal, its just a word processor. Anyways, any quick help is much appreciated, thx, : peace2: Mista K6
    Modified Dell 8200 Case:
    -400MHz FSB i850 Intel mobo
    -P4 Williamette Socket 478, 1.9GHz
    -768MB 16-bit PC800 RDRAM
    -MSI GF4 Ti4200 128MB @ 284/581
    -7200 RPM Maxtors: 60GB (2MB) on mobo and 160GB (8MB) on ATA/133 PCI Card
    -Creative Inspire T7700 7.1 Speaker System on an Audigy 2
    -Windows XP Home Edition SP2

Rock on : peace2: , MiStA K6

AFAIK, it's not illegal, but I could easily be wrong.

But what you should have done, was download a copy of OpenOffice (Free and Legal) which has great M$ Office compatibility and it's very easy to use ...it would have saved you $80 and you wouldn't have to worry the legalities of your current situation

You should know by now what TT's policy is on illegal software activities, even if "its just a word processor"; so for your sake let's hope that's not illegal.

:cheers:
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

that was my point, I DON'T wanna do anything illegal :no: . However, I'm not up with the laws etc., some that's why I was seeking the wealth of knowledge here :thumb: . Also, he needs Microsoft Word, as that's what everyone uses, and it makes it the easiest to trasnfer files etc. Therefore, MS Word files only, otherwise I would've stuck with Word Perfect. Ah well, I'll keep looking. Thx for the reply, : peace2: Mista K6
    Modified Dell 8200 Case:

OpenOffice can open M$ Office files and save as M$ Office files if you wish. That's what I ment by it "has great M$ Office compatibility".

I have my resume saved as .sxw, .doc, .pdf, and .html ...all with OOo Writer, and it shows up perfectly in their associated apps.
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

You can buy word by itself.

And isn't Office XP for teachers and students like $120? That is what I saw it for last time I was at office max.

Chez

Yea, I got my version of Office XP w/ Frontpage for 35$ through my college. I got XP Pro for 25$. They have quite a bit more for sale as well. It isn't even anything special, as far as I know, all colleges in the US have this deal.

Here is the Wisconsin site... http://wiscweb5.wisc.edu/wisc//

And i just noticed, all tech school students ALSO have access. And I know for a fact that Minnesota has this program as well.
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

sweet thx. See, staples is so miserly. The full version of M$ Word is $220, while the upgrade version I got is $80. W/e, I'm going to get MS Office from one of those sites, and I just returned the M$ Word upgrade package. Thx people! : peace2: Mista K6
    Modified Dell 8200 Case:

8. Default

Your lucky Zeradul cuz at my college they offer it for $150.00 at a student price.

Wonder how many you could buy though :confused:

if you don't need to edit documents microsoft has free viewers for Word/Excel/Powerpoint/Visio

My mom works for a coleghe, and got XP and office, and the prices was:

Office XP Pro with frontpage: $15
    Windows XP Pro: $5

As a matter of fact, all other software is $5 from them, they even offer a Cad program for $250 :D

Thread Information