Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: STAY AWAY fro McAFEE!!!!!

STAY AWAY from McAFEE!! I bought the AV/Firewall combo in August. The firewall never worked as well as the FREE Zonealarm. The Antivirus worked until 10-25 when I bought WINXP and did a fresh install. When I tried to load McAfee AV I got the error that it was incompatible with this version of Windows. I contacted them and they gave me a patch. Recently I began having problems with Internet Explorer and upon the advice of MS uninstalled McAfee. That did not solve the problem but went I tried to reinstall, I got the incompatibilty error. Would McAfee give me the patch again.....NO!

"The only solution we can offer you is to upgrade to version 6.0." MY solution was to tell them I will NEVER buy one of their products again AND will tell everyone who will listen how they treat their customers.

$50 worth of software = worthless in 4 months!!!! :confused: :shoot2: :mad:
    Shuttle AK31 Rev 3.1
    XP 1600+
    XP Home Ed.
    Geforce GTS 2
    SB Live Value
    IBM Deskstar 75 GXP 30 GB
    TDK 12/10/32 Writer
    512 Crucial PC2100 DDR
    Netgear RT314

McAfee has been known as a very "so so" producer of software for a while now, which wasn't always the case, but the Nortons line of products would be a much better choice, though I'm not saying that they're the best.
    As for firewalls, I myself use ZoneAlarm as I've found it to be the most reliable. :smokin:
    :cheers:

Yes, McAfee has been in a downward slide for a few years now. Their AV products used to be among the best, but that was 4 years ago. Other AV products have had bad times, for intance I remember when Norton and Norman were crappy scanners, now they are the best around. I just think it's a phase - let's hope they fix it soon :thumb:
    What came first - Insanity or Society?

I could be wrong here, but I get the distinct impression that McAfee (NAI) is trying to sway their customer base to the online scanning service they operate.

As a dial-up connector, I have serious issues with scanning my drives online (as in - take all freaking day). I'm sure that on McAfee's end, that it should save them a bundle of money.

Everyone wants to develop online services, but nobody wants to bring broadband to my house - except satellite of course. Which costs a fortune.
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

AND as my friend who has DirectPC has found; is INCAPABLE of online gaming. Damn shame for those who do noy live in a city or town large enough to have broadband access.:eek:
    Shuttle AK31 Rev 3.1
    XP 1600+
    XP Home Ed.
    Geforce GTS 2
    SB Live Value
    IBM Deskstar 75 GXP 30 GB
    TDK 12/10/32 Writer
    512 Crucial PC2100 DDR
    Netgear RT314

Well, as I have never had a connection suitable for online gaming, DirecPC would be just fine with me. Too bad it costs $500 to get started, but I can't miss what I've never had!

Online gaming is like seafood here where I live, a nice sounding concept with no basis in reality.
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

for starters - the online scanning loads a signed applet onto your computer - the scanning is done locally, but the engine is the only download, which would be SFA, as for mcaffee pushing people to that - i doubt it, as it doesn't run memory resident and prevent people from opening the *.exe files they got thru ICQ that are infected with a netbus server or wotever...so they are just plain "so-so"

if u are in australia, i'd highly recommend the VET anti-virus software, it is updated regularly and was one of the first to have a fix for their AV product out when Nimda hit...

it is big enough to do a good job - but small enough to be missed when Virus programmers target specific payloads on AV software - they never target Vet....

another good one is Norman
    IMHO norton haws too much overhead, and is not as effective as VET or norman...so for your $$$ i still go with VET

just my 2c
    sKuLLsHoT
    www.morb.ath.cx

I to use zone alarm pro 2.6, and acording to all the security scans I've done I'm totally invisible. No IP address or anything. I highly recomend it. I upgraded to windows xp at x-mas time. What a mistake. Every piece of hardware on my system was incompatable with xp. It didn't come with an uninstall program with it so I had to reformat my hd to get rid of it. The best day of my life, hahahawinxp
    Asus P5N32-E SLI mobo
    E6600
    Zalman 9700 led Heatsink
    Thermaltake Extreme Spirit NB heatsink
    Corsair XMS2 PC2 8500 (2gigs)/with fans
    Ocz Gamestream 700 watt psu
    Geforce 7900gs oc Video card
    Half a tarabyte hard drive space
    Thermaltake Saprano case

I have a box full of McAfee coasters.;) Junk.
    Thunder

I'm with Skullshot, i use VET and never had a problem with it.

and i use ZA for a firewall. And Visualzone to report my logs to dshield.org who will follow it up with a letter to the attackers ISP

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information