Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question with McAfee Privacy Service.

I just hope Mcafee has the decency to mail a cd with the working version out to everyone who owns a registered copy of ISS6.0. I hate trying to download programs with dial-up.

Quote Originally Posted by RP Racing
    Everything works fine until I try to get on Ebay. Is there a way to allow ebay's banners and such to load normally? If I turn off Privacy service, it loads fine.
    BTW dont tell me I should had got Norton, I had Norton and it let a virus in that f-ed my computer.
    I'm sorry but Norton and McAfee lost me a long time ago (McAfee 1st) as neither preformed to my expections. AVG, POW!, ZA, Ad-aware (all free) and regular os updates have served me much better (just because they're all free doesn't mean that they're nasty). : peace2:

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggo
    I'm sorry but Norton and McAfee lost me a long time ago (McAfee 1st) as neither preformed to my expections. AVG, POW!, ZA, Ad-aware (all free) and regular os updates have served me much better (just because they're all free doesn't mean that they're nasty). : peace2:
    I'm on dial-up and dont like watching my screen for 4 hrs to download them. It took 2.5hrs to just download Netscape

Beefy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RP Racing
    I'm on dial-up and dont like watching my screen for 4 hrs to download them. It took 2.5hrs to just download Netscape
    Then don't watch. Just let it go overnight.

McAfee tends to run into problems because they seem to be more aggresive in update releases. Sometimes that means they introduce a bug in their haste to solve a vulnerability.

Norton on the otherhand tends to be more cautious in releasing dat's and updates but I'm finding average end users that are infected "just" before an outbreak fully takes off even though the product is current.

Never tried AVG but if Wiggo and Beefy like it.. then that's a :thumb: for me!!!

I just cleaned up a little K6 400 Win98SE system this past week. The thing was soooooooooooo messed up with spyware and virus's that I didn't want to hook it into my network for internet, and it's modem was dead. It's then I remembered my old external USR 56k modem. Hooked that puppy up, connected to Windows update and let it run all night. In the morning we were good to go!!!

ps: Beefy, I agree...keeping the OS updated is a huge part of keeping things secure and safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefy
    yup. thats the best thing to do. i usually copy all the links i want to download, put them in a file and then use wget --> ftp://sunsite.dk/projects/wget/windows/ to get them. you can sleep prettly well without thinking about anything and you can get upto 90MB in one night (at 32kbps thats the max i can think of :p ).
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Quote Originally Posted by Beefy
    Cant let it run by itself. Phone line isnt mine.:D:D

Also the line likes to drop me when I'm on teh net for more than 2-3 hrs. Cant wait to get the cable modem started. Its all hard wired, have the cable modem and router set up. Just need permission from the landlord to activate it.

Use a download manager then as they will pickup broken downloads. Sorry I can't recommend one as I don't use them but I'm sure that serveral here can.

well i can recommend one or two that i like.
    wget for windows (CLI) and getright (GUI) :cheers:
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information