Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Spam Control

All right, I'm finally fed up with rules and filters so I'm looking for something better. I'm tired of having to go through piles of crap just to get to the email messages that I wanted to see in the first place. I'm looking for some sort of utility that is simple and works effectively.

Some guidelines:
    Must work with Outlook Express 6
    Cannot filter out all messages using mass mailing headers
    Doesn't need my constant supervision to remain functional

So... what's hot and what's not? Free or moderately priced are both acceptable. It goes without saying that Spyware/Malware need not apply.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Quote Originally Posted by Darthtanion
    Some guidelines:
    Must work with Outlook Express 6
    I know you said that^, but have you considered using something other than OE? I'm a bit partial to Mozilla's Thunderbird myself. The built-in spam controls are simple and effective. Like usuall, it's free and opensource.

http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

Though I'm not a Microsoft nut, I prefer to stick with the IE/OE programs. I have too much going on right now to try to learn a new browser.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

nah, thunderbird (mail) and firebird (browser) are separate and stand-alone apps. Not to mention very easy to use and configure. Anyway, i'm done preaching, hope you find something that works
    <center>:cheers:</center>
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

imo you should give SpamAssasin a try. though a mainly Unix based thing it has expanded its tentacles in Windows field and works quite well.
    though for Windows users there are still very few options available.
    1) SAProxy : A commercial product. Costs $30 but provides you with a trial copy for 30 days.
    2) Spamnix : If you are prepared to let go of OE and move to Eudora then this product works seamlessly well. Again a commercial product ($30) but provides a trial copy.
    3) Bloomba : An E-Mail client with SAProxy built-in.
    All the above mentioned solutions does not require you to read/configure much but if you are in for spending some time and have patience to work on something new then here are few other things
    1) POP3Proxy : Page provides simple how to on getting it work. Requires you to install perl.
    2) Port SPAMAssassin to Windows : Loads of features are missing in this way and you will not be able to harness full potential of SpamAssassin.
    3) WinSpamC : An open source product, does not come with loads of documentation and requires you to install spamd using cygwin. Installing of spamd is explained quite well, gives full features of SpamAssassin and is actually quite fast.
    4) IMAPAssassin : If you have IMAP mail. Does not come with any documentation (may be a just ReadMe)
    5) Other programs where SpamAssassin has been ported.
    I am currently using Ximian Evolution with SpamAssassin and it is quite accurate in filtering mails.
    While discussing SPAM, I cannot forget something that Mr. C once suggested. though not actually a filter but nPOP is an excellent tool to check what all is there in your mailbox, delete the unwanted mails and download only the wanted stuff.
    I hope someone else can come with something more accurate for you :)
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Norton AntiSpam 2004 has to be worth a try.

Mail Washer ? http://www.mailwasher.net/index.php

Although it is not a spam filter as such it does give you an easy way to decide what you want to do with your mail before opening OE. You get the option to delete, blacklist, and/or bounce all incoming messages. The free version works well for me but is limited to one account.
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Thread Information