Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Deleting Software

How can i completely delete a software? I tried un-installing it but still there working and pissing me off!

When you install software, where do they normally sit on the registry? can someone tell me plz! co'z im planning to delete the whole thing off

Thanks in Advance! and Happy New Year!

Beefy Guest

so you ran the uninstall and it's still there? What exactly are you trying to remove?

Quote Originally Posted by crazysniper22
    How can i completely delete a software? I tried un-installing it but still there working and pissing me off!

When you install software, where do they normally sit on the registry? can someone tell me plz! co'z im planning to delete the whole thing off

Thanks in Advance! and Happy New Year!

It depends on what software you have and also what O.S. you have.

In WinXP under regedit you can ussually find the entries here HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    in the Software folder.

Some software also adds entries under Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion, And occasionally it's a bunch of numbers and letters that don't make sense so be sure you know what your deleting.

Oh yeah, finally under the Menu Bar, select Tools>Folder Options
    select the View Tab Check "Show Hidden Files, press Apply and OK incase there is still hidden items lurking somewhere on your harddrive.

Ofcourse delete the applications folder on your harddrive and check your MY Documents folder incase it has stuff in there also. I think that should take care of it.
    :idea: Good luck!

One more thing you could use is an app like rigistry crawler. It finds pretty much everything but you will still need to know what to delete incase there is a similarly named entry from the program you want to get rid of that Windows or some other program needs.

If you don't feel comfortable doing any of the above, another thing you could try is re-installing the program you want to get rid of back onto your computer in the exact same folder you placed it in before and then see if the programs uninstall (if it has one) or Windows uninstall will rid you of the program, since I'm thinking a file got wiped out somehow to the program and now uninstall can't find the required files to uninstall the software (right?).

yah thats right! it still there. The program is called Cyber Patrol that blocks your IE from browsing malicious site. But the problem is it also blocks website that are descent.

Quote Originally Posted by Spongebob
    It depends on what software you have and also what O.S. you have.
    the windows installed on that machine is Windows 98 SE. i'll try what you told me. But I already deleted the files from the "Program Files" folder and deleted the folder that exist on the registry under HKEY_CURRENT_USER and on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE but the software still working and continue blocking sites

search for a file named HOSTS.
    in XP it is located in C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc and edit it with notepad.
    any site address present in that file will be blocked. you need to delete the stuff you don't want.
    i think that is what this Cyber Patrol fiddles with.
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Quote Originally Posted by asklepios
    search for a file named HOSTS.
    in XP it is located in C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc and edit it with notepad.
    any site address present in that file will be blocked. you need to delete the stuff you don't want.
    i think that is what this Cyber Patrol fiddles with.
    thanks.. i'll try wot you told me.

Thread Information