Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Norton Anti-Virus 2004 and activation??

Quote Originally Posted by Frost
    As far as free... free is nice, if free works, but if a free software lets a virus intigrate your machine, then it's the most expensive software that you have allowed to be put on your system.
    in this case free does work, just ask the people that use it ;)

but if it makes you feel more comfotable, AVG aslso has a version for sale
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

I don't know how you guys do it but I never had any probs with Norton ever, it always work and does a great job to. Maybe i'm just a lucky man. Anyhow it have saved me many times from virus infections. :)

Beefy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Frost
    BTW, my boss was reading or listening to the radio, and the latest worm, the W32.Novarg.A@mm worm, may be linked to a lawsuit or person P.O. at SCO Unix for suing Linux for software copyright infringement. Something about a date and time bomb creating a Denial of Servie to SCO/Unix web site on a certain date and then later on, the same DOS to Microsoft.
    That's MyDoom. It's set to DDoS www.sco.com Feb 1 - Feb 12. There's a huge amount of politics and theories behind it though. Someone tested it (by resetting the date on their PC) and apparently it didn't work, although it could be a one-off case.

the morning radio show here was talking about this today. They claimed there was a comment in the code that said:

"I'm sorry, I'm just doing my job - Adam"

Although I have yet to see that repeated anywhere else so I'm a bit skeptical.
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

Beefy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by minibubba
    the morning radio show here was talking about this today. They claimed there was a comment in the code that said:

"I'm sorry, I'm just doing my job - Adam"

Although I have yet to see that repeated anywhere else so I'm a bit skeptical.
    Quote from what I've seen:

Buried in its programming code -- and only readable after it has been decrypted -- was also the message "Andy; I'm just doing my job, nothing personal, sorry" from the creator

There's actually an interesting conversation happening over at Slashdot <a href="http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/01/28/1528213&mode=thread&tid=126&tid=128&am p;tid=172&tid=185&tid=190&tid=201" target="_blank">here</a> about all the theories and things behind it...

Well, I found this at Symantec web site after folling the links in here.

This document was updated on January 27, 2004 with a new version of the SymKBFix.exe file.

Web address of: http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...03093015493306

If you read it, the directions sound like a game of "Round Robbin"! LOL

I'll bet this whole thing has put a damper on Symantec, and it should. In a free enterprise system, you get your money from providing goods or services, and your income is gaugaged in how well the above is applied. I don't mind activation, I just don't think that puting someone's computer "at risk" while you work out the bugs is the right thing to do.
    "Former Nebraskan... fix it with bailin' wire."
    Vern

SYSTEM:
    MULTIBOOT -> Windows XP, ME and Mandrake 9.2 Linux

Abit KV8-MAX3
    AMD 64 Clawhammer 3200+

Kingston Hyper X 1GB DDR CAS 2 set agressively!
    Custom fan cooler for CPU
    USB 2.0 all onboard no card
    GeForce4 MX440 AGP 64MB DDR Video Card
    10/100 NIC 3Com onboard
    Leadtek TV 2000 XP video input card PCI
    160 GB ATA 133 Maxtor HD 8MB buffer
    350 W Enermax PS
    Toshiba DVD ROM drive
    Yamaha CD Burner
    Pioneer DVR-105 DVD Burner
    Logitec optical mouse on adapter
    DW 6000 Satellite 2-Way internet connection

jenefarm@direcway.com

I found it amazing how the worm W32.Novarg.A@mm spread around so fast. It even got on my system threw Kazaa, but didn't get to do anything. And the thing is I didn't even download anything besides legal music.

Well, there's no viruses in my computer, but I certainly get a ration of them every day. This noon I opened up Outlook Express and got 15 messages 11 were viruses. Pretty sad ratio. Between the viruses and the junk spam mail, I get to read an ocassional GOOD piece of mail. LOL

Reminds me of the commercial where this guy keeps pulling out toy after toy after toy from a cereal box, and finally found a small packet inside, which he opened and poured in his cereal bowl. *S*
    "Former Nebraskan... fix it with bailin' wire."
    Vern

SYSTEM:
    MULTIBOOT -> Windows XP, ME and Mandrake 9.2 Linux

Abit KV8-MAX3
    AMD 64 Clawhammer 3200+

Kingston Hyper X 1GB DDR CAS 2 set agressively!
    Custom fan cooler for CPU
    USB 2.0 all onboard no card
    GeForce4 MX440 AGP 64MB DDR Video Card
    10/100 NIC 3Com onboard
    Leadtek TV 2000 XP video input card PCI
    160 GB ATA 133 Maxtor HD 8MB buffer
    350 W Enermax PS
    Toshiba DVD ROM drive
    Yamaha CD Burner
    Pioneer DVR-105 DVD Burner
    Logitec optical mouse on adapter
    DW 6000 Satellite 2-Way internet connection

jenefarm@direcway.com

Just recived my third mail containing Win32.HLLM.MyDoom, all were discarded and replaced in outlook. :)

Dear Recipient,

the message with the following attributes

To: xxx
    Subject: Hi

has been discarded and replaced with this notifcation message.

The sender's original message contained viruses that could be
    harmful to your system

The following viruses were identified.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    The e-mail messages was infected with Win32.HLLM.MyDoom.32768 :barf:

I never really liked NAV2004, the clunky user interface, is just horrible. I want a product that get's the job done, and that's it, I don't want more of my ram used up by "pretty colors"! But that activation, it was such a large hassle, that i didn't even care for it, i just took it off my machine. It's horrible.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information