Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mozilla 1.6 beats Internet Explorer in every way

BOTH CHARLIE D and Fernando C have urged me over the last few weeks to switch away from Internet Exploder. And after using it for the last few weeks, I'm now completely convinced.

The latest update of Mozilla is fast and has far better features than Internet Explorer, and far less drawbacks too.

I've noticed that IE gets tired and emotional when it's subjected to grievous bodily browsing and the numerous critical updates that you've got to slap on the patient when it's feeling sick.

But the feature that really does it for me is the tab feature. This lets you open numerous web sites at the same time and lets you flip between them in IE, of course, you have to open a fresh window and after a while, all that air you're letting in can confuse you every which way.

There are some other nice features in Mozilla 1.6 which I've dabbled with. It lets you switch off popups easily, gives you access to IRC chat without much bother, and has nice cookie and download managers too.

I've played with the Mail module too, and this is very promising. It has a pretty good stab at filtering out your spam, although like most filters, it needs a bit of training.

When you install the free browser, it auto-imports your IE bookmarks, and the manage bookmarks feature is far better than the Microsoft one as well, in my opinion.

I haven't found much to quibble with so far, and the tab feature really does help me out. IE is looking a bit jaded and Microsoft needs to do something to slim this baby down.

In addition, there are regular updates to Mozilla and the source code is available, if that's your bag.

All in all, Fernando and Charlie have persuaded me that Mozilla is good for my health.

Over here you can download it for Windows, for Linux, and for Mac OS X too. And on the same page there's downloads for the Firefox browser and the Thunderbird email/newsgroup client too. OK, I know I came late to the party, but I like it, I like it.

-[http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=14419]
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

another one joins the community :D
    i have become an absolute fan of Mozilla based browsers especially after i used Galeon and Epiphany. i always found Mozilla very unstable and clunky but 1.6 is really cool. don't want to see IE again.
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

I downloaded Mozilla today. To early to pass jodgement, but it seems fine :cool:

Does it suffer less problems than Firefox..:?:

Firefox has problems?
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Beefy Guest

They both do. :) From a corporate environment, anyways..

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. C
    Firefox has problems?
    that's what I was wondering.. :laugh:

Mozilla is a more refined product if that's what you mean. Don't forget that Firefox, despite all it's beauty, is still a beta.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefy
    They both do. :) From a corporate environment, anyways..
    i use Firefox in a corporate & college environment, what problems :confused:
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

Takes time, space, and therefor money to set up. I.E. works, even if not as well as Mozilla, and comes with XP.

Beefy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Yawgm0th
    Takes time, space, and therefor money to set up. I.E. works, even if not as well as Mozilla, and comes with XP.
    Well, to a degree, but it's not that bad. If I wanted to dish it out to 50 computers, Novell can do that quite easily with Snapshots. I'd just be happy to get it working properly. :)

I was using Mozilla on a Red Hat machine, and the proxy configuration wouldn't work properly due to the way in which proxy server addresses are entered. I'm guessing this is the same as the PC version? Also, there is a compatibility issue between that and the web-based learning system used here. So it's useless for staff / students.

Firefox wasn't so bad in the end. I eventually figured out how to trick that into working. Hate to say it, but IE is so much easier. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Beefy
    Hate to say it, but IE is so much easier. :)
    I certainly will say that with all those years practice Internet Explorer did rather become second nature for me.
    I'm sure the same is true for yourself and likely for most of the folks here.

At this time the Firefox community is certainly growing, so I'm inclined to believe that the browser has merits as well as a number of people with the ability to work through most common issues likely to be encountered by the typical user.
    However in the case of the learning system, there may not be a way around such proprietary software.
    Perhaps I might go so far as to suggest it is not a "web" based program but rather an "IE" based program? Or as may be the case, an Active X based system even - in which case the use of many non-Microsoft browsers would be rendered unfit.

Certainly many of us have seen differences in display of web content through normal usage of Firefox. Mostly contributable to the adherance to existing standards for display languages and other internet based methods and manners of retrieving data.
    I must say, I grew rather laxadaisical on some points through the use of IE instead of the standards.

I think for myself and my usage/needs I've become quite happy to get back to "Tweaking Done Right..." as opposed to "Patching Done Regularly...".
    Spendiing time creating a browser that works well for my needs has just been a lot more personally rewarding than endlessly dealing with security issues.

That doesn't mean it's right for all people in all applications by any means.
    There are certainly going to be valid reasons to continue to use IE vs an alternative in many instances.

But I do pity those who off-handedly dismiss all alternatives without further investigation (not accusing anyone mind you, only speaking in broad terms).
    For sadly, they will remain tied to the M$ teat instead of experiencing true innovation. :2cents:
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information