Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: word 2003 and normal.dot from word 2000

Question word 2003 and normal.dot from word 2000

Hi, i want to upgrade my office install from 2000 to 2003, however, on my test machine i get the following problem, word 2003 will open the normal.dot from word 2000 no problems, i see all the custom icons and buttons etc.... however when i try to insert an auto text entry, word 2003 totally freezes and i have to end task it, so two questions....

1) Will the normal.dot file from word 2000 work with word 2003?

2) If it wont, is there a way to convert it so that it does work?

Thanks,

Gary

Default Re: word 2003 and normal.dot from word 2000

I'm not sure how functional it is, but there are formatting differences from files with the same extension between different versions of MS Office.

I'd suggest you try Open Office as it has support for files from all different versions of MS Office/Word. It's all backwards engineered so it may not be perfect, ainly indenting, line changes, and simlar spacing issues sometimes aren't perfect, but nothing major in my experience. It's better than having the program freeze....

Default Re: word 2003 and normal.dot from word 2000

I personaly would go for open office, but this is relating to a client i work for, i found the issue though, seems the normal dot from word 2000 is actually corrupt but it just has not been spotted in word 2000! Only Microsoft........

now i have to use the organiser and try and copy out what i can from the corrupt normal dot.... hmm.... a beer sounds like a good starting point

Gary

Thread Information