Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Web search bar (Need help removing it)

Default Web search bar (Need help removing it)

A freinds computer had a ton of spyeare on it so I updated and ran Spybot search and destry a few times and uninstalled anything that didn't belong in ADD\REMOVE programs on WinXP. Anyway I think I got most of it off and the system runs 100% better but I can't get rid of this one thing called WEB SEARCH. Its a search bar that in on the same bottom bar the start button and the time reside on the Windows XP desktop, just next to the icons running in the background. Does anyone know what this Web Search bar is? I've never seen it before and I can't get rid of it for her. It keeps bringing in more spyware, HELP!

Default Re: Web search bar (Need help removing it)

I just cleared a similar search bar off my pc. it was in a hidden file called "isrvs" in windows. I opened my pc in safe mode. then went to windows folder and in tools> folder options>view allowed hidden files to be seen. it is then easy to delete the offending folder without it write-protecting itself.

Quote Originally Posted by bish-10
    I just cleared a similar search bar off my pc. it was in a hidden file called "isrvs" in windows. I opened my pc in safe mode. then went to windows folder and in tools> folder options>view allowed hidden files to be seen. it is then easy to delete the offending folder without it write-protecting itself.

Thanks, I'll have her try that.

I suggest you get Firefox, simple as that.
    My Current Rigs:
    Antec P180, OCZ Powerstream 520W, DFI nF4 SLI-DR Expert, AMD X2 4400 w/XP120(2.6GHz@1.45v), 2x1GB OCZ Platnium PC3200, BFG 7900GT@592/800(1.6), WD 250GB SATA, Maxtor 120GB IDE, LG DVD/CD Combo(black), Sony DRU-810 DL DVD Burner(black)
    3DMark01:25379, 3DMark03:19746
    3DMark05:9294, 3DMark06:5340

Raidmax Cobra, Fortron PN-400W, ASUS A8N-E(nF4 Ultra), X2 3800 w/AMD heatpipe cooler, 2x 512MB Crucial Balistix, ATI X300, WD 250GB IDE, Samsung 16x DVD/RW

Quote Originally Posted by Amd_Lover2004
    I suggest you get Firefox, simple as that.

Amd_Lover2004, do you know what I should set on Firefox to reflect similar Java settings to the I.E. Internet options (attachment) below? My emulator for my work will not open with Firefox's defualt settings, so I think I need to change a few settings to reflect these but I have no idea where to find them on Firefox. I'd like to use Firefox myself, but without the use of MS JavaVT it can't happen.

All I know is that Firefox downloaded and installed all the Java applications I needed to run everything... just go to a site that requires Java and Dowlload the required Plugins.

Thats all you need if I remember correctly...
    My Current Rigs:
    Antec P180, OCZ Powerstream 520W, DFI nF4 SLI-DR Expert, AMD X2 4400 w/XP120(2.6GHz@1.45v), 2x1GB OCZ Platnium PC3200, BFG 7900GT@592/800(1.6), WD 250GB SATA, Maxtor 120GB IDE, LG DVD/CD Combo(black), Sony DRU-810 DL DVD Burner(black)
    3DMark01:25379, 3DMark03:19746
    3DMark05:9294, 3DMark06:5340

Raidmax Cobra, Fortron PN-400W, ASUS A8N-E(nF4 Ultra), X2 3800 w/AMD heatpipe cooler, 2x 512MB Crucial Balistix, ATI X300, WD 250GB IDE, Samsung 16x DVD/RW

Quote Originally Posted by Amd_Lover2004
    All I know is that Firefox downloaded and installed all the Java applications I needed to run everything... just go to a site that requires Java and Dowlload the required Plugins.

Thats all you need if I remember correctly...

Yeh, it promted me to installed Java when I opened it up, and I did, but the settings need tweaked similar to those in the internet options above in I.E.. I.E will act exactly the same way as Firefox and won't open up the java based emulator I need if these setting are set incorrectly. The above settings are the key, but even though the browsers looks alot alike the advanced setting in Firefox are extremely slim and I didn't see anything pertaining to java at all.

you need to find, download, and run cwshredder to kill your little problem

Firefox is great, but it's not a cure-all for malware. However, improving your browsing habits are.
    #

Thread Information