Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Anyone know how to get rid of this thing?

Default Anyone know how to get rid of this thing?

I was downloading patches for games and made the mistake of executing this nasty little exe file. This didn't look like a patch for a game and I should have known better. I'm not sure if its spyware or a virus but I cannot remove it from my desktop nomatter what I try. I just installed hours and hours of programs onto this new system and I hate to reformat already. Pic of file attached.

Default Re: Anyone know how to get rid of this thing?

Press F8 to go into the advanced startup and boot in safe mode.
    I have also had some success with moving the file, rebooting and then deleteing it.
    My Current Rigs:
    Antec P180, OCZ Powerstream 520W, DFI nF4 SLI-DR Expert, AMD X2 4400 w/XP120(2.6GHz@1.45v), 2x1GB OCZ Platnium PC3200, BFG 7900GT@592/800(1.6), WD 250GB SATA, Maxtor 120GB IDE, LG DVD/CD Combo(black), Sony DRU-810 DL DVD Burner(black)
    3DMark01:25379, 3DMark03:19746
    3DMark05:9294, 3DMark06:5340

Raidmax Cobra, Fortron PN-400W, ASUS A8N-E(nF4 Ultra), X2 3800 w/AMD heatpipe cooler, 2x 512MB Crucial Balistix, ATI X300, WD 250GB IDE, Samsung 16x DVD/RW

Quote Originally Posted by Amd_Lover2004
    Press F8 to go into the advanced startup and boot in safe mode.
    I have also had some success with moving the file, rebooting and then deleteing it.

Thanks, Safe mode wouldn't let me remove it nor would a reboot but when I went to safe mode I had the option of using system restore. I went back a couple hours and got it off. Do think that was a virus or what?

It may have been spyware related or something.

Looks like a patch for Heroes of Might and Magic IV, but that could just be the disguise. In the future, first make sure it isn't running in task manager, and kill it if it is. Then try using CMD to delete it (or command.com for 9x). If that doesn't work, just access the drive from outside Windows and delete it from there. Using system restore is never necessary for something like this.

Yes it was a patch in disguise for that game, had to do a lot of Google searching to find all 6 patches for the game and its expansion since 3DO's website seems to be gone. There was nothing running in task manager and I even tried shutting down a bunch of processes then deleting it but all that failed. I didn't think of tring to get to it from a command prompt but I'll keep that in mind incase it happens again. That would be a hell of a long pathway to type in to get to a desktop item though, but that should work if I used a windows 98 boot disk. Does it hurt anything to use system restore? This is the first time its ever came in handy for me.
    Last edited by Spongebob; 01-19-2005 at 10:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spongebob
    Does it hurt anything to use system restore? This is the first time its ever came in handy for me.
    It can, but it should be fine. I'd just suggest avoiding use of it.

I just reformat/install Windows fresh but I generally err on the side of overkill.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

I just found this tool which may be helpful in the future.
    http://www.docsdownloads.com/Tier1/dr-delete.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Darthtanion
    I just reformat/install Windows fresh but I generally err on the side of overkill.
    After just installing 200 GB+ of stuff on this new system I want to avoid that option unless everything else fails. YEEKS!

KoolDrew, thanks for the link, I have it bookmarked for next time.

Thread Information