Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Anyone try Ace Utilities?

Default Anyone try Ace Utilities?

It's a system optimizer, I wanted to know if anyone has tried it here and recommand it:

http://www.download.com/3000-2086-10361077.html

By the way, what's the difference between the forums "applications" and "all other software?"

Default Re: Anyone try Ace Utilities?

I am not a big fan of optimizing programs. Many apply tweaks which do nothing or actually degrade performance. If you want to tweak your OS do it manually. The tweaks that I recommend can all be found in the Control Panel anyway.

I just downloaded the program to try it out and it does clean out junk files, but CCleaner seems like it does a better job. There is also no reason at all to clean the registry. The registry is mapped and if a key is needed it will go directly to this key. Also before I cleaned my registry it was 55.2MB. After cleaning it came down to 54.6MB. You really think that little amount taken away is going to make any notiable impact on performance? No it won't.

Also not to mention after I cleaned the registry I was having problems with WS_FTP and had to reinstall. This is another reason I tend to recommend against using registry cleaners. I have seen too many people run into problems. Even recently a friend of mine downloaded ReSupreme and his internet connection failed to work. CCleaner does clean the registry, but it is the safest to use.

Erase your history is alright, but I think CCleaner removes all that too. It also fixes invalid shortcuts.

So basiccally I don't recommend it.

Dangerous, hmmm, that sucks.

I'm gonna give this CCleaner a try. I haven't used a reg cleaner in so long since norton and regcleaner.

Thanks.

I recommend doing your own system optimizing with the Windows XP tweak guides at www.tweakguides.com

Thread Information