Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Summer Spyware cleanup

Default Summer Spyware cleanup

I have been doing really good with keeping spyware off my pc without any annoying programs running in the background. But the fatal stupid mistake everyone makes.. well long story short I have horrid spyware that won't go away after using spy sweeper, ad-aware, and spybot. But there is one that really tweaks my nerve, there is one listed as it is in the C:\Program files\(name here) But when you get into it, it has a bunch of gibberish, adware has it like /??/C:/Program files/name

Any help or programs to be recommended would be great.

Default Re: Summer Spyware cleanup

Find any startup entries in msconfig and services.msc and remove them. Kill any running processes, then find and delete the file themselves.

You should also try using a virus scanner.

Yea, i kill them easy with msconfig, but then they reenable them selves. I can not find the files because they are in some strange before C drive gibberish. I have ran a search and nothing came up on Windows AdService.exe. And what virus scanner do you recommend?

Another issue at hand, I can not boot into Windows safe mode, I get into the login area and it reboots right away. The only way I found my way into safe mode is to change the boot.ini and add /safeboot , and then press f8 for advanced menu and run "run previous working config" and It boots into safemode.
    Last edited by paleghost; 06-07-2005 at 10:50 AM.

I'd recommend AVG for a free virus scanner.

Use that method to get into safe mode and find the files. The registry startup entries (e.g. msconfig) will tell you where the files are, but you will likely have to be in safe mode to remove them. Very few viruses/spyware programs can't be removed by first removing the registry entires and then the files under safe mode.

If that doesn't work, and you can't find/can't disable any entires in services.msc, it's likely that you'll have to boot into the recovery console off of the XP CD and disable them there. Let's hope it doesn't come to that, because it'll be a lot harder to walk you through that.

Well I took the easy way, reformat. I cleaned up as much as I could, found like 35 viruses. I had nothing totally important. And had a 20gig to back up most of my stuff before the OS just stopped working, lost my resumes, latest firefox bookmarks, and my fonts.

Thread Information