Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Firewall Question.

Default Firewall Question.

Just got done reading the PC security article you guys posted on the home page and got a question on firewalls. I noticed how it said to only use one because you can have conflicts arise. So my question is which one do you think is better, the Windows XP firewall or the nVidia nForce4 firewall? Currently i use a router (wireless network) and have the Windows XP firewall up. Is the Nforce firewall better and should i switch to that?

Default Re: Firewall Question.

I said only to use one software firewall. The nvidia nForce 4 firewall is a hardware firewall built into your motherboard. It does have a software interface, just like a router, but it's still a hardware firewall. However, it won't do a whole lot because you have a router already, which will act as your firewall. The Windows XP firewall (or another software firewall) will allow you to prevent outgoing programs, which can be useful for tracking down certain types of spyware and viruses. You don't have to use it, but it probably wouldn't hurt.

Cool thx for the info. Must have read it backwards then, damn beer lol. Thx. ;)

Red face Re: Firewall Question.

Hello I am here to help answer your question. When you asked whether WindowsXP firewall or nForce4 firewall is better, it depends. If your "better" meant which firewall is able to filter or block out more bad things, then it's really hard to tell. You see, whether a firewall is able to block out a certain bad thing or not is depended on how it was designed and built. For example, while WindowsXP's firewall is able to block out hacking or malware, nForce4 firewall might be able to block out boot sector virus or other things that might try to access your hardware illegally. Having too much firewall running in the background at the same time might cause conflict, but that is rarely the case, and in your case you don't have to worry about. nForce firewall is running at the chipset level, in that I meant it runs at a level even lower than WindowsXP firewall, mostly it's there to monitor boot sector virus, and illegal hardware accessing. WindowsXP firewall is running at an operating systems level, it monitors process and make sure there is no illegal accessing to your operating systems, program, files, etc..... Your operating systems handles those actions. For example when you click on an icon to open open an application to use, say MS Words for instance, the operating systems will load Word into main memory and start the execution, which will bring up the application for you to use. However, if there is a hacker or illegal malware trying to start illegal process on your system in attempt to steal something, then the WindowsXP firewall is more likely to block those out than nForce firewall. On the other, if you borrow's someone diskette to use, and it contain bad virus that attempt to mess up your system on boot up, then nForce firewall is likely to catch those and block it out. So, don't worry, I think you should be able to run both simutaneously.

You said you also have a router right? did you know that you also have a third firewall running too? If you router is one of the later one, it should have a builtin firewall, this firewall is on the same level as the one that is built into windowsXP. You can change its setting with this url:
    http://192.168.1.1
    username: admin
    password: admin
    That is usually the default ip for router setting, but if it's not, then refer to your router's manual for it. Most of the time, just leave it alone, but you can can change setting if you want to, make sure you know what you are doing.

To sum it up, if someone is trying to hack into your system, he/she has to first pass your router's firewall (if it has one), then your WindowXP firewall before he/she can do stuff to your computer. On the other hand, if you insert an infected diskette during boot up, and it tries to mess up your bios, system files, etc..... then the nForce Firewall is there to protect you.

Most of the time, firewalls are like spyware detection programs, they tend to play very nice with one another, unlike antivirus programs. But if you think that there is a conflict among them, just find out which ones, and then disable one or the other for better result. However, in your case you are find.
    I hope that can help answer your questions.
    Last edited by Lone7; 09-21-2005 at 07:07 AM.

No firewall will do anything to protect you from any kind of virus. The nForce firewall does not prevent "illegal hardware accessing." It's a firewall, which means it prevents unauthorized network connections, not any sort of viruses, regardless of what hardware they're accessing. The only hardware it has any major control over is the network controller, and that doesn't mean it will prevent viruses. At best, a firewall will prevent a virus or piece of spyware from accessing the Internet, which can be very useful. The nForce firewall isn't necessarily what you'd use for that, but the Windows XP firewall, or another software firewall (such as Zone Alarm) is. Any kind of firewall is useful for preventing any sort of attacks, but a hardware firewall is generally best for that. You're router (as I already said) will act as that firewall.

As for firewalls interacting with each other, they will cause far more conflicts than antivirus software, if we're talking about software firewalls. Having multiple hardware firewalls (such as a router and the nForce 4 firewall) generally won't cause any serious problems, but having two software firewalls (e.g. Zone Alarm and Seagate) will likely prevent any sort of network connectivity whatsoever.

Thread Information