Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Whats youre favorite ativirus and firewall protection? And Why?

Default Re: Whats youre favorite ativirus and firewall protection? And Why?

McAfee is terrible. Never reinstall it under any circumstances. I fell for it one more time after I uninstalled it and not that it is completely off my system I will never miss it. It is definitely as bad as you say and even worse if you ask me.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

I use windows firewall and norton av, my other comp i use blackice firewall.

Quote Originally Posted by casecutter
    McAfee is terrible. Never reinstall it under any circumstances. I fell for it one more time after I uninstalled it and not that it is completely off my system I will never miss it. It is definitely as bad as you say and even worse if you ask me.
    Even though all of the recent suites that I tried did uninstall fine except for System Suite 6 in which I had to reformat the harddrive just to get WinXP to boot, I've had good luck with the rest uninstalling, no shared Windows files like in the past version of some of the same named software. I know there are probably registry entries and such left behind but I'm planning on another system reformat soon and right now I'm just testing stuff out to see if any of this stuff is worthy of staying on my system or if I'd rather live with the possibilty of a future virus. So far the virus is looking pretty damn good! I've got my fingures crossed that Zone alarm suites will be the answer but I'm thinking my best bet is just a plain virus scanner that doesn't run in the background. I just wish I could find something like that and maybe something that could scan some of my wifes incoming mail since thats probably where the keymapping virus came from that started all this intrest in popular internet protection suites for me in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Spongebob
    If you have a router, is the WindowsXP firewall enough, or even the firewall thats built into the routers software?
    That depends on your situation. The router doesn't have software, per se (actually it's called firmware, but that's not the point), not does it really even have much of a firewall. There seems to be some sort of widespread confusion (even amongst the more knowledgable) regarding routers having firewalls. Any router acts as a firewall because you cannot recieve any incoming connections without port forwarding setup, which means you've intentionally set it up so that certain ports are open. A router will basically protect you from just about any worms (unless they come through a specific vulnerability in some software you use, such as file-sharing programs) but it will not (with a few exceptions) prevent outgoing connections. The ability to prevent outgoing connections can help you catch spyware and trojans, as well as some other viruses. It also provides additional security if you do happen to have port forwarding turned on. For example, whenever I use bittorrent (which requires port forwarding), I turn on Zone Alarm so that they only thing that could possibly hit me is a bittorrent worm (which would be next to impossible to program, considering there are dozens of different bittorrent clients).

For you, a software firewall would be useful, but I can imagine it becoming problematic with the other users in your house. When the message pops up asking if this program should be allowed to access the Internet, what do you think the chances that they'll know the answer are? On the other hand, if you set program permissions faithfully beforehand, then it won't prevent much but any spyware/viruses that they (or you) pickup accidently somewhere along the way.

On the topic of terrible suites, McAfee and retail ('home", if you will) versions of Norton are indeed terrible. McAfee will bog down most systems more than a virus will (and many viruses greatly reduce performance, and are often indended to) and is a pain for a number of other reasons. Norton is nearly as bad, particularly Norton Internet Security. I have helped literally dozens of users on this site with problems revolving around that particular security suite. I would call it the Windows ME of security suites.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information