Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: F#$%^&king Microsoft

I consider myself fortrunate Wordpad has all the office-type functionality I need:laugh:

But in essence, isn't M$ Office development geared toward business environment use?
    If you own a business and purchase/upgrade software it is termed a "business expense" and therefore fully deductible from your taxes at the end of the year.

If anyone should have a problem with the pricing of M$ Office applications it should be the government.

In regards to my previous (admittedly it was wise-ass in nature) statement. Honestly, can you code it cheaper?
    A lot of time and effort went into the development of the programs. I really feel that if you intend to make use of the software, you should be willing to compensate MicroSoft for the tools they are providing.
    If you are not willing to do that, or don't think you would recieve enough -- or perhaps recieve more functionality than you really need go find something more inline with your budget and needs.

Vote with your wallet, If you don't like what MicroSoft offers or the price that MicroSoft recieves for it. Go look at the options.

It's just the same as my ventures into open source, I truly believe that Microsoft XP is software totalitarianism and therefore even if it were free, I refuse to install it.
    Stop being lazy, if you are truly upset by software functionality/pricing, take the time and find something that adequately meets your purchasing/use requirements.

If you choose to act as if MicroSoft is the only game in town, then you will have to play by their rules.
    Take off the blinders and look around.......there is a big 'ol software universe out there if you want to explore it.
    </RANT>
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Congrats on a brilliant post Mr. C.

Microsoft is the owner of their proucts, and they have an absolute right to sell it for whatever they want. If you don't want to pay that price, don't. Product prices are as simple as supply and demand. If you will pay the price, MS is entitled to every cent they make. If all of a sudden MS stops selling copies, the price WILL come down.

Don't blame anyone other than the millions of people who thought those products WERE worth the price, and did buy them.

Lets say RDR earns 120 Grand a year. Now he could work for 60 Grand a year, and donate the rest of his salary towards lowering the price of the products he helps make. But he certainly doesn't need to do that. He has the ability to demand 120 Grand for the work he performs, and therefore gets to keep every cent (after taxes... haha)

The alternatives may be 900% cheaper, but aparently they are unable to do what Office provides, and therin is proof of why they are so much cheaper. Any more expensive, and the makers believe they wouldn't sell as many units.

If you love the product, so much as to not buy anything else, then you will be forced to pay whatever price the maker demands. Clearly, MS office really kicks ass, or we wouldn't be having this conversation.

what really cheeses me off is that if you buy a PC it must be sold with a MS OS
    I used to think this as well. After a few years of pondering, I realized that NO OTHER OS will sell enough units to make the PC without MS worthy of sitting on shelves. This is not a MS forced monopoly... this is a buyer forced monopoly. The buyer wants nothing other than MS on their computers... and LETS FACE IT... those who do will NOT be buying computers at such prices that you see in chain stores (Proof: none of us do)

I hope you understand what I'm saying Kheldar... don't get mad at MS for being on every PC at whatever store, get mad at your neighbors who want nothing other than MS on their PCs. THAT is who is making that policy

Mr. C - I'm not sure how it works in the U.S. - but capital expenditures are definately not tax deductable in Canada,
    Gross Income minus operating expenses & capital expeditures (or a portion there of) = Net Income...that's what you pay tax on.

the thing about MS is do they charge what they need to or what they feel they can get away with?

MS reports record profits with every product release - yet it seems like with every new generation they the take away some functionality and sell it as a separate product.

Do they have the right to do this....sure they do

but if you consistenly deliver less and charge more - eventually people (who pay attention to these things) will turn to an alternative, whether it's piracy, linux, corel etc.

Most people I know with pirated software, have said they would pay for a license if it was a "fair" price.

of course "fair" means different things to different people.

I have licensed copies of Office 2000 on both my PC's at home - I need it for work - if the money had to come out of my own pocket there's no way I'd be dropping $900cdn.
    What is Office really worth to me $500?, $200?...hard to say
    Would I be using Corel or an MS pirate...also hard to say.

everyone has their limit..I think MS wants to see where that limit is

Well there you go then.

I have never used Corel, but I would think that if I were them, I would code a little option to 'Save as office2000' and 'Save as Office XP' etc.... And then of course be able to read office files as well...

Doesn't it have that feature?

the Corel Suite includes Wordperfect and Quattro (spreadsheets) - the can look at any MS word and Excel document - all the text and formulas convert - you loose between 0 to 20 % of the formating
    It also includes a Corel equivalent to Powerpoint, Access and Outlook - I haven't messed with them too much yet

I've been hard pressed to find any functionality missing from the Corel Suite - it seems very good, although slower to load than the MS equivalent

Ahh, we all hate microsoft, in fact, apart from bill gates, who doesnt?

i have a suggestion tho, look on www.download.com

i have never bought ms office, any version of it, i use free software for my .doc, xls files their 100 times better, i cant remember the names, im at work, but look at download.com for free legal alternatives. id never waste my money on ms products again!

Australian PC User did a software review this month

In Office suites they gave Off XP a 9 and rated it the best choice
    I actually agree and wouldnt be without Office (I have 2000) myself

BUT they all list (score in brackets)

StarOffice (7) - Free and works cross platform = linux plus i think i read somewhere the code was now open source?

602Pro PC Suite (5) - Free
    Corel Office 2002 (7) - listed as $999 aust ???
    Lotus Smart Suite 9.7 (8) - $497 aust

and guess what - a full version of Lotus Smartsuite version 9.5 was included on the cover disc. that makes it about $7.50 aust

I prefer and use MS Office. But if $$$ are tight or u just hate Bill then there a number of very worthy and much cheaper alternatives. There is no excuse to not have something like this i would reckon - so stop ur whingeing :D
    Splash

:afro:
    OK so my signature is lame - I can live with it!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information