Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Win 98 Product Key

The CDs are mass produced, so an individual serial number or key on each disk wouldn't be an issue. Can you imagine the logistical nightmare trying to individually serialize each and every Windows disk made? YIKES!
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Well, thanks for your responses so far. To make certain all know this is a legal copy of Win98 which is also one of the reasons I wanted the computer. I have other legal copies of Win98 but am trying NOT to use a single machine license on more than one machine.

The mass produced theory sounds logical so I probably haven't found a product key yet for this same vintage program.

The relatives may still have the manual but are moving from Florida to Michigan and their stuff won't be unloaded for a couple of months.

There used to be an OLD Win98 FAQ on the net which had a method for bypassing the authentication scheme in pidgen.dll [which is the file that authenticated Serial numbers in Win95/98]. That might help if you can find it..

I believe you can bypass the key by rebooting in safe mode once it comes up with the prompt for it. Changing a couple of registry keys and rebooting will stop the cd key/license agreement from appearing. But of course that would be illegal wouldn't it......
    My Box:
    Intel Pentium 4 2.4C @ 2.7
    DFI 875P Lanparty
    512Mb Geil PC3500 Dual Channel (Cas 2-6-3-3 @450MHz DDR)
    Leadtek A280 Geforce4 4200 MyVIVO
    Audigy DE
    1 x 73Gb Seagate fibre channel 10krpm (boot drive) with LSI HBA
    1x80Gig Seagate Barracuda ATA V
    1x120Gig Western Digital 8mb cache
    Spiffy Antec Super Lanboy (LED fan and UV light)

hmm, interesting stuff, but i still don't understand....ID?!? product key you mean?

Ya. I mean product key. Still don't have it open, and haven't been able to get relative to find the win98 manual.

So ya already formated the drive then? :?:

Ya. I did that right away. See, I had a Cert. of Authenticity that came with the computer. I thought it was for all the Microsoft products included on the Acer CD. Unfortunately it is only good for the MS Works, Money and Encarta software.

It will still be a few more weeks before the relatives get their moving van in Mich. And then I jujst hope they didn't throw away the Win98 book and can find it!

I hope luck is with ya.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information